Are both sample spaces the same or do they mean different things?

In summary: However, the point I was trying to make is that it's impossible to get the sample space wrong. It is what it is, and it's not up for interpretation or alternate formulations. When it comes to elementary probability, the sample space is always the set of all possible outcomes of the experiment. That's all there is to it.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
A coin is tossed two times. What will be the sample space for this experiment?
Relevant Equations
None
I came up with two different forms of the sample space S, but I am not sure if they mean the same thing or the first one could mean something different. H stands for heads showing up and T stands for tails showing up.

$$ S = \{ \{i,j\}: i \in \{H,T\}, j \in \{H,T\} \} $$

$$ S = \{ (i,j) : i \in \{H,T\}, j \in \{H,T\} \} $$

Physics news on Phys.org
vcsharp2003 said:
Homework Statement:: A coin is tossed two times. What will be the sample space for this experiment?
Relevant Equations:: None

I came up with two different forms of the sample space S, but I am not sure if they mean the same thing or the first one could mean something different. H stands for heads showing up and T stands for tails showing up.

The order in which members of a set are listed is irrelevant, and multiple occurences of the same element in the list are redundant, so the first is [tex]\{\{H\}, \{H,T\}, \{T\} \}.[/tex] Can this be right? If the two tosses have different outcomes, should we be able to distinguish between a head followed by a tail as opposed to a tail followed by a head?

Likes FactChecker and vcsharp2003
pasmith said:
The order in which members of a set are listed is irrelevant, and multiple occurences of the same element in the list are redundant, so the first is [tex]\{\{H\}, \{H,T\}, \{T\} \}.[/tex] Can this be right? If the two tosses have different outcomes, should we be able to distinguish between a head followed by a tail as opposed to a tail followed by a head?
Ok, I get it.

If the first form is used then we will get one of the members of set S as ##\{ H,H \}## which is the same as ##\{ H\}##. Therefore, the first form is not correct and the second form is correct.

It seems to me that we're essentially trying to get Cartesian Product as the set S i.e. ##\{ H,T\} \times \{ H,T\} ## for which we always use the second form. Also we know that in Cartesian Product the order is important, which would account for order of H and T in a pair of values.

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
Homework Statement:: A coin is tossed two times. What will be the sample space for this experiment?
Relevant Equations:: None

Your "two different forms" are actually identical.
Edit: I see now that the first version has ordered pairs (in parentheses) and the second has sets (in braces).
pasmith said:
The order in which members of a set are listed is irrelevant, and multiple occurences of the same element in the list are redundant, so the first is [tex]\{\{H\}, \{H,T\}, \{T\} \}.[/tex]
@pasmith, I'm not what you're trying to say here, but the sample space should be a set of events, not a set of sets. IOW, looking like this: ##\{ (H, H), (H, T), (T, H), (T, T) \}##. Each of the listed pairs (events) is equally likely.

Last edited:
Likes vcsharp2003
Mark44 said:
Your "two different forms" are actually identical.

The first form uses braces [itex]\{i,j\}[/itex]. That indicates a set, not an ordered pair. The second form is correct.

Likes vcsharp2003
pasmith said:
The first form uses braces {i,j}.
A detail that my old eyes missed.

1. Are sample spaces and event spaces the same thing?

No, sample spaces and event spaces are not the same thing. A sample space refers to the set of all possible outcomes in an experiment, while an event space refers to a subset of the sample space that represents a specific event or outcome of interest.

2. Can two different experiments have the same sample space?

Yes, it is possible for two different experiments to have the same sample space. This can happen when the experiments have the same set of possible outcomes, even if the events or conditions leading to those outcomes are different.

3. What is the difference between a sample space and a probability space?

A sample space is a set of all possible outcomes in an experiment, while a probability space also includes the associated probabilities for each outcome. In other words, a probability space is a sample space with assigned probabilities for each outcome.

4. Can the sample space change during an experiment?

No, the sample space is fixed and does not change during an experiment. However, the events within the sample space may change depending on the conditions or variables involved in the experiment.

5. How do I determine the sample space for a given experiment?

The sample space can be determined by listing all possible outcomes of an experiment or by using a tree diagram or Venn diagram to visualize the different outcomes and their relationships. It is important to consider all possible outcomes, even if they may seem unlikely or insignificant.