Are conductive and valence bands defined in unbonded atoms?

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
In summary: It doesn't have a physical location. In summary, the concept of "valence bands" and "conduction bands" only applies to a macroscopic number of atoms in a solid. At the single atom level, these bands do not exist. The positioning and characteristics of these bands are determined by many factors, such as the size and geometry of the atoms, the number of valence electrons, and the density of atoms. These bands are present in ordinary metals, semiconductors, and insulators, and are a result of many-body physics where the collective behavior of a large number of atoms dictates the properties of the material. The valence band is localized to each atom, while the conduction band is delocalized throughout the
scott_alexsk
I do not know if you saw this in my other thread, but I suppose this makes my question clearer. Are the conductive and valence bands defined in an unbonded atom? I think that it would be defined either way, but it seemed to be suggested that it is not, by other posts.
-Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no bands when you have only a single atom. Bands are nothing but a macroscopic number of closely-spaced, discrete energy levels formed from having a macroscopic number of atoms in a solid.

So what changes within the bonded atoms to change the postion of the bands whereas the colvelant band be overlapping or not overlapping the valenece band? What dictates in both atoms these band characteristics?
-Scott

The concept of "valence bands", "conduction bands", etc. in solids is a many-body concept. Such concepts are meaningless when you have, let's say, 12 atoms group together. That's why you don't have a "conduction band" in a molecule, even large ones such as bucky balls.

A many-body physics requires the collective effect where the individual no longer dictates the properties. It is the interaction with A LOT of other individuals that produces such collective behavior. So the "overlapping" of interaction is not just from one, two, three, etc particles, but from a gazillion.

Zz.

Even at the marcoscale, there is some effect of the constituent atoms on the postion of the bands. What is this variation with certain atoms that causes a variation of postion of bands at the marcoscale whereas the conductive band overlapping the valence band or vice versa? Is the presence of bands only a characteritic of metal compounds?
-Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
scott_alexsk said:
Even at the marcoscale, there is some effect of the constituent atoms on the postion of the bands. What is this variation with certain atoms that causes a variation of postion of bands at the marcoscale whereas the conductive band overlapping the valence band or vice versa?

Come again?

What are these "effects"? And what do you mean by "position" of the bands?

Is the presence of bands only a characteritic of metal compounds?
-Scott

Ordinary metals, semiconductors, and insulators. It is why the energy gap in a semiconductor is called a "band gap".

Zz.

scott_alexsk said:
Even at the marcoscale, there is some effect of the constituent atoms on the postion of the bands. What is this variation with certain atoms that causes a variation of postion of bands at the marcoscale
If I understand the question correctly, there are many factors : the size of the atoms involved and the crystal geometry; the number of valence electrons per atom; the density of atoms; and the atomic number, to name some big ones.

Just to clarify one point at a time, do only metalic compounds have bands or can all marcomolocuels have bands?
-Scott

scott_alexsk said:
Just to clarify one point at a time, do only metalic compounds have bands or can all marcomolocuels have bands?
-Scott

This is getting quite confusing. What is a "metalic compound"? Macromolecules? A compound doesn't become metallic. It is only when it has a gazillion other partners can it be called a metal. You need to understand the significance of many-body physics here.

And did you miss my remark about semiconductors and insulators?

Zz.

Yes I missed that sorry:redface: . How does the band gap vary with insulaters? The valence band is over the conductive band, right? In metals I suppose as a result of the higher energy conductive band overlapping the valence band the electrons are delocalized, because they do not want to occupy that higher energy state, right?
-Scott

Thanks for the link Gokul, it helped very much. One more question, where is the valence band located? I mean is the conduction band essentially everywhere on the substance and the valence band localized to the individual atoms?
-Scott

The conduction electrons are delocalized and the valence electrons are localized to each atom. However, you can't speak of "valence bands being localized" to atoms, because a band is nothing more than a graph of energy vs. crystal momentum.

Related to Are conductive and valence bands defined in unbonded atoms?

1. What are conductive and valence bands?

The conductive and valence bands refer to energy levels in the atomic structure of a material. The valence band represents the highest energy level occupied by electrons, while the conductive band represents the lowest energy level that is not occupied by electrons.

2. How do conductive and valence bands affect the conductivity of a material?

The presence of electrons in the conductive band allows for the flow of electricity through a material, making it conductive. In contrast, the absence of electrons in the valence band makes a material insulating.

3. What is the relationship between conductive and valence bands and the band gap?

The band gap is the energy difference between the conductive and valence bands. Materials with a smaller band gap are more conductive, while materials with a larger band gap are less conductive.

4. How do changes in temperature affect the conductive and valence bands?

Changes in temperature can cause electrons to move between the conductive and valence bands. For example, as a material is heated, some electrons in the valence band may gain enough energy to move to the conductive band, increasing the material's conductivity.

5. What is the importance of understanding conductive and valence bands in materials science?

Understanding the conductive and valence bands is crucial for designing and developing materials for various applications. For example, materials with specific band gaps can be used for semiconductors in electronics, while materials with high band gaps can be used for insulation in electrical systems.