Are hotter stars always brighter?

• Thread starter whatta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between absolute magnitude and star temperature, and whether hotter stars are always brighter. The poster initially had a misconception, but after researching and making changes to their plot, they now understand that the Stefan-Boltzmann law determines the energy flux or power per unit area based on temperature. The luminosity, or total amount of energy radiated by a star, is also affected by its size. The conversation includes links to further information on these concepts.
whatta
I posted it under celestia development forums but I wonder if, per chance, it is my misconception, so I ask it here.

Is that true that absolute magnitude should be proportional to star temperature; that is, are hotter stars always brighter?

edit: okay, I looked things up, changed my plot a bit, so now it looks more like right.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/565/aaaaawm9.jpg

but. this means stars that are not in "main sequence" cannot be modeled by black bodies. what are their spectrum models?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
yep I haven't thought of multiplying by star surface. that was it, thank you.

1. Are hotter stars always brighter?

Yes, in general, hotter stars are brighter than cooler stars. This is because the temperature of a star is directly related to its luminosity, or brightness. The hotter a star is, the more energy it emits, making it appear brighter to us.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and brightness in stars?

The relationship between temperature and brightness in stars is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law. This law states that the luminosity, or brightness, of a star is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature. So, a small increase in temperature can result in a significant increase in brightness.

3. Are there any exceptions to the rule that hotter stars are brighter?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, a star may appear dimmer if it is surrounded by a large amount of dust or gas, which can absorb and scatter its light. Also, the age and composition of a star can affect its brightness, even if it has a high temperature.

4. How do scientists measure the temperature and brightness of stars?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure the temperature and brightness of stars. One common method is to analyze the star's spectrum, which is the pattern of light wavelengths it emits. By comparing the spectrum to known patterns, scientists can determine the star's temperature and luminosity.

5. Can a star's brightness change over time?

Yes, a star's brightness can change over time. This can be due to natural variations in the star's energy output, such as pulsations or eruptions, or it can be influenced by external factors, such as the presence of a companion star. Some stars also go through stages of their life cycle where their brightness may increase or decrease significantly.