Can Different Types of Hydrocarbons Mix?

• Thread starter GiTS
  • Start date
In summary: That sounds like it would be something you would want to do under a microscope to be sure. Interesting... so if I take Olive oil, and sesame oil and mix them with heat, I won't be able to see separation during the cooling phase? Hmm. That sounds like it would be something you would want to do under a microscope to be sure.
GiTS
I don't know if I used the right word, it's been awhile since chemistry. If I melted parrafin wax and petroleum jelly would they mix like water and salt? Or would they remain seperated?

Also, let's say I had a sample of a mixture of various unknown petroleum based solids and high viscosity fluids. How would I determine the make up of that sample?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
GiTS said:
I don't know if I used the right word, it's been awhile since chemistry. If I melted parrafin wax and petroleum jelly would they mix like water and salt? Or would they remain seperated?

They would probably be miscible at elevated temperature. As the sample cooled, the parrafin would likely crystallize out somewhat and you would probably have finely-divided wax crystallites embedded within a petroleum jelly (contaminated with some uncrystallized wax) matrix.

Also, let's say I had a sample of a mixture of various unknown petroleum based solids and high viscosity fluids. How would I determine the make up of that sample?

There are many ways. You could determine the crystallinity of the sample by optical methods or by X-ray or even by synchrotron radiation methods. You could separate the sample based on some affinity to a high surface area material like silica gel or alumina which would give you a 'chromatographic' separation. Identification of the relatively pure fractions would be done by other methods like elemental analysis, UV-Vis, NMR or mass spectrometry. There are others as well but you get the idea.

chemisttree said:
They would probably be miscible at elevated temperature. As the sample cooled, the parrafin would likely crystallize out somewhat and you would probably have finely-divided wax crystallites embedded within a petroleum jelly (contaminated with some uncrystallized wax) matrix.

Have to disagree with you here, having worked on petroleum jellies developments for about 15 years (what a way to spend your life eh?).

If you mixed together molten paraffin wax and molten petroleum jelly they would mix together completely, in all proportions. This is because petroleum jelly is generally a blend of white liquid paraffin and paraffin wax. By mixing together molten paraffin wax and molten petroleum jelly you are simply adding wax content to the petroleum jelly. So, as the sample cools it will simply form petroleum jelly again, just slightly harder and a little higher in drop melting point.

And just why is petroleum jelly not water clear? Could there be wax crystallites embedded within the matrix? I've done a little work myself on wax/oil suspensions, but not 15 years worth.

Petroleum jelly is not transparent for the same reason that paraffin wax is not transparent. The wax contains a range of molecular sizes, so the crystal sizes show a fair degree of polydispersity which means that light tends to be scattered by them.

When molten petroleum jelly cools the wax matrix traps the oil in its interstices to create the gel structure; if you add molten paraffin wax to molten petroleum jelly, this wax simply adds to the density of the matrix that would otherwise be formed, so that the light scattering effect is still present.

Dear all,
Could you answer this question.
Is there any wxes and oils which are mutually immiscible?
I want to melt a wax in a oil, and then cool-down the system to see wax separate as tiny bubbles in the oil phase (while agitating continuously).

lohit said:
Dear all,
Could you answer this question.
Is there any wxes and oils which are mutually immiscible?
I want to melt a wax in a oil, and then cool-down the system to see wax separate as tiny bubbles in the oil phase (while agitating continuously).

Hmmm... I'm not sure about tiny, but beeswax in olive oil will do that to some extent. I wouldn't call that mutually immiscible though, but it seems to match your desired end result. If you want a bigger gradient, you could try parrrafin and something like clarified peanut or sesame oil (be CAREFUL).

Dear all
The rule "like disolves like"
you know waxes are not crystals then not recrystalize in the mixture with oil ,like crud oil which composed wax,grease ,oil and variable hydrocarbons.

wazani said:
Dear all
The rule "like disolves like"
you know waxes are not crystals then not recrystalize in the mixture with oil ,like crud oil which composed wax,grease ,oil and variable hydrocarbons.

Interesting... so if I take Olive oil, and sesame oil and mix them with heat, I won't be able to see separation during the cooling phase? Hmm.

1. What are hydrocarbons?

Hydrocarbons are organic compounds that consist entirely of hydrogen and carbon atoms. They are the main components of fossil fuels such as oil, natural gas, and coal.

2. What does it mean for hydrocarbons to be miscible?

Miscibility refers to the ability of two substances to dissolve in each other in all proportions. In the case of hydrocarbons, miscibility means that they can be mixed together in any proportion without separating into layers.

3. Are all hydrocarbons miscible?

No, not all hydrocarbons are miscible. This depends on the molecular structure and polarity of the specific hydrocarbons. Generally, hydrocarbons with similar structures and polarities are more likely to be miscible.

4. What factors affect the miscibility of hydrocarbons?

The miscibility of hydrocarbons is affected by several factors, including molecular structure, polarity, temperature, and pressure. As mentioned before, hydrocarbons with similar structures and polarities are more likely to be miscible. Additionally, higher temperatures and pressures can increase the miscibility of hydrocarbons.

5. How does the miscibility of hydrocarbons affect their use?

The miscibility of hydrocarbons plays a crucial role in their use as fuels and solvents. For example, gasoline, a mixture of various hydrocarbons, must be miscible with air in order to efficiently combust in an engine. In the case of solvents, miscibility allows for better mixing and dissolving of substances, making them more effective in various industrial processes.