Are the transforms instantaneous?

• Thread starter Leo.Ki
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of frames in relation to acceleration and the instantaneous change of spacetime. It is mentioned that frames are just coordinate systems and the choice of which frame to use is subjective. There is no physical answer to whether the change in spacetime is instantaneous or not.
Leo.Ki
Hello Board,

When you accelerate, the world changes its spacetime "slant" with respect to your own frame. Is this change instantaneous throughout the whole universe? I'm aware that "instantaneous" is a dangerous word here, since we are changing frame when accelerating, but I hope you see what I mean. What are the consequences if the change is instantaneous, and what are they if it is not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Leo.Ki said:
Hello Board,

When you accelerate, the world changes its spacetime "slant" with respect to your own frame. Is this change instantaneous throughout the whole universe? I'm aware that "instantaneous" is a dangerous word here, since we are changing frame when accelerating, but I hope you see what I mean. What are the consequences if the change is instantaneous, and what are they if it is not?
Frames are just coordinate systems for describing different events in spacetime, it is just a matter of convention that each inertial observer should call "their" frame the one in which they are currently at rest, they could just as easily analyze things from the perspective of some other frame. So, it would likewise be just a subjective decision whether an accelerating observer should define simultaneity at every instant in terms of his instantaneous inertial rest frame, or whether he should calculate everything from the perspective of his original rest frame before he began accelerating, or what. There isn't a physical answer to your question any more than their would be to the question of whether the origin of an observer's spatial coordinate axes travels along with him when he accelerates, or stays put, or what.

Thanks, Jesse. It makes sense to me. I now see that I was adding a second temporal dimension along which spacetime would change, which is insane.

1. What are transforms?

Transforms are mathematical operations that are used to manipulate objects in three-dimensional space. They can be used to rotate, scale, skew, or translate objects.

2. Are transforms instantaneous?

No, transforms are not instantaneous. They require a certain amount of time to be completed, depending on the complexity of the operation.

3. Can transforms be applied to any object?

Yes, transforms can be applied to any object in three-dimensional space. However, the results may vary depending on the type and structure of the object.

4. How do transforms affect the appearance of an object?

Transforms can change the position, orientation, and size of an object in three-dimensional space. This can result in a different appearance of the object, depending on the type of transform applied.

5. Do transforms have any limitations?

Yes, transforms have limitations. They can only manipulate objects in three-dimensional space and cannot change the physical properties of an object, such as its mass or material composition.