Are there any good exercise books for Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's search for a problem book on quantum mechanics that covers topics such as operator algebra, anti-commutators, normal ordering, and density matrices. They consider using Schaums outline and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili as potential resources. The speaker also mentions wanting a real test of their knowledge in the subject.
Alex Petrosyan
hi,

I’ve been walking through posts on this forum, and found plenty of book recommendations for QM.

My problem is, I haven’t had enough practice in a long while. I could go over Solved Problems in e.g. Galitsky, or Gasiorowitz, but they seem to be a little far from what I want to test: operator algebra, anti-commutators, Normal Ordering, Density matrices...

Are there any problem books on those topics that you would recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at Schaums outline? I haven't taken QM yet so i cannot comment on it by actual experience, but i usually find the vast number of solved problems in schaums very helpful in other courses. They are also quite cheap.

You could check the content here and see if it fits https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071623582/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Alex Petrosyan
Why are you looking for a "problems" book specifically, as opposed to solving the problems in a textbook? For instance, Griffiths has good problems to solve on those topics.

Well, I’m not exactly, as long as the book is 30-40% problems, it should work fine.

The reason why I’m asking is because I thought I knew the material well. Turned out I’ve cheesed through it, and I want a real test of the knowledge.
Dishsoap said:
Why are you looking for a "problems" book specifically, as opposed to solving the problems in a textbook? For instance, Griffiths has good problems to solve on those topics.

Alex Petrosyan said:
Well, I’m not exactly, as long as the book is 30-40% problems, it should work fine.

The reason why I’m asking is because I thought I knew the material well. Turned out I’ve cheesed through it, and I want a real test of the knowledge.
Not a actual book recommendation, but you could also rework some old exams from your course and similar courses if you haven't done that already. Given that your university publish all old exams for students to download that is.

Likes Alex Petrosyan
"Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili contains many examples, and detailed solutions to many problems.

Likes Alex Petrosyan

1. What is the best exercise book for Quantum Mechanics?

The best exercise book for Quantum Mechanics would depend on individual preferences and learning styles. Some popular options include "A Guide to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and Darrell F. Schroeter, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. It is recommended to read reviews and preview the content before choosing a book.

2. Are there any exercise books specifically for beginners in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are exercise books that are specifically designed for beginners in Quantum Mechanics. Some recommended options include "Quantum Mechanics for Beginners" by John Robert Taylor and "Quantum Mechanics: A Paradigms Approach" by David H. McIntyre.

3. How do I know if an exercise book for Quantum Mechanics is suitable for my level?

Most exercise books for Quantum Mechanics will indicate the level of difficulty on the cover or in the description. It is important to assess your understanding of the subject and choose a book that aligns with your level of knowledge. Additionally, it is recommended to read reviews and preview the content before making a purchase.

4. Are there any free exercise books available for Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are some free exercise books available for Quantum Mechanics. These can be found online through websites such as OpenStax and MIT OpenCourseWare. However, these may not have the same level of detail and organization as paid exercise books, so it is important to thoroughly assess the content before using them for studying.

5. Can exercise books be used as a standalone resource for learning Quantum Mechanics?

No, exercise books should not be used as a standalone resource for learning Quantum Mechanics. They should be used in conjunction with textbooks, lectures, and other educational materials. Exercise books provide practice problems and challenges to reinforce the concepts learned from other sources.