Area b/w curves given by parametric eq's

In summary, the problem involves finding the area between two parametric curves, x = r(theta-sin(theta)) and y = r(1-cos(theta)). The attempt at a solution involved converting the parametric equations into a single equation, but resulted in a difficult expression to integrate. The textbook and professor did not explain how to find the area between two parametric curves, causing confusion on how to approach the problem. Suggestions were made to convert the equations into polar counterparts and to be careful when solving for intersection points. Finally, it was determined that the limits of integration should be 2pi and 0, as the cycloid has a period of 2pi regardless of the radius.
icosane

Homework Statement

Find the area between the curves:
x = r(theta-sin(theta)), y = r(1-cos(theta))

2. The attempt at a solution

Usually I would just change the parametric equations into a single equation by solving for theta and substituting back into one of the equations. But that results in a nasty expression that I can't integrate. Basically neither my text nor my professor ever explained how to find the area between two parametric curves and I don't know how to approach the problem. Should I subtract the integrals with respect to theta, using the end points for theta where x=y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Trying to solve for x=y I end up with the equation,

theta - sin(theta) = 1 - cos(theta)

Which is only equal at theta = 0... so how am I supposed to pick points to evaluate the definite integral? :confused: Intuitively I feel like 2pi and 0 are the same thing but 2pi doesn't satisfy the equation, right?

integrating x(theta) with respect to theta gives me,

r*[(theta)^2/2 + cos(theta)]

and integrating y with respect to theta gives me,

r*[theta-sin(theta)]

If I was to choose the limits of integration as 2pi and 0 and evaluated the integral of x minus the integral of y would I get the correct answer?

This problem seems odd to me in that you're given x and y, both in terms of r and theta. The usual way that problems like this are presented is in two different equations in r and theta.

Something you might try is to convert the x and y into their polar counterparts: x = rcos(theta) and y = rsin(theta). If you did that you would have two equations in r and theta that you could graph.

Be careful about solving for intersection points in polar equations. It can happen that the two curves intersect, but have different coordinates at the point of intersection.

Mark44 said:
This problem seems odd to me in that you're given x and y, both in terms of r and theta. The usual way that problems like this are presented is in two different equations in r and theta.

Something you might try is to convert the x and y into their polar counterparts: x = rcos(theta) and y = rsin(theta). If you did that you would have two equations in r and theta that you could graph.

Be careful about solving for intersection points in polar equations. It can happen that the two curves intersect, but have different coordinates at the point of intersection.

I was under the impression that r was a constant. The question is written on my paper exactly as I typed it up here, so no more info was given. This is for a calc 2 class so the solution should be relatively straight forward. If I set x = r*cos(theta)=r*(theta-sin(theta)) the r's cancel and I'm unsure how that would help? We did recently cover polar coordinates so I suppose it would make sense for them to come into play.

If I remember correctly this was how the Stewart textbook gave the parametric equations of a cycloid. To find area just use [tex]\int_{a}^{b}y\,dx[/tex], where y=r(1-cost) and dx=r(1-cost)dt.

You'll end up with [tex]r^{2}\int_{a}^{b} \cos^{2}(t)-2\cos(t)+1 \,dt[/tex]

zcd said:
If I remember correctly this was how the Stewart textbook gave the parametric equations of a cycloid. To find area just use [tex]\int_{a}^{b}y\,dx[/tex], where y=r(1-cost) and dx=r(1-cost)dt.

We are using the Stewart textbook so I bet that's what it is. I'm going to find that section and try to figure it out now. Thanks!

Would my limits of integration be 2pi and 0? The book says a cycloid is essentially the line traced out by a point on a circle as it rolls, so it would have a period of 2pi regardless of the radius right?

Yes that's right. And for the record, two parametric equations form one curve, so you're not finding the area between the two parametric equations, you're finding the area beneath the curve given by the equations.

1. What is the significance of the area between curves given by parametric equations?

The area between curves given by parametric equations is important because it allows us to find the total enclosed area of a curve or shape that cannot be easily expressed using traditional functions. This is especially useful in fields such as physics and engineering where complex shapes and curves are often encountered.

2. How do you find the area between curves using parametric equations?

To find the area between curves given by parametric equations, we first need to find the points of intersection between the curves. Then, we can use the formula A = ∫(y2 - y1)dx, where y1 and y2 are the equations of the two curves and dx represents the change in x. We integrate this formula with respect to x, from the first point of intersection to the last, to find the total area between the curves.

3. Can you explain the concept of parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point on a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters are usually represented by the variable t. By varying the value of t, we can plot a curve or surface and describe its shape and location. This is especially useful for representing complex curves and shapes that cannot be easily expressed using traditional equations.

4. How do you determine which curve is on top when calculating the area between curves given by parametric equations?

To determine which curve is on top, we need to consider the orientation of the parametric equations. If the equation for one curve has a higher value than the other curve at a particular point, then that curve is on top at that point. However, if the orientation of the parametric equations is not clear, we can always plot the curves and visually determine which one is on top.

5. Are there any limitations when using parametric equations to find the area between curves?

While parametric equations are a useful tool for finding the area between curves, there are some limitations. For example, it may be difficult to find the points of intersection between the curves or the equations may be too complex to integrate. Additionally, parametric equations may not be suitable for certain types of curves or shapes. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used to find the area between curves.