1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between the curves

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So what I've been doing to solve these questions is to set the two equations of the curves equal to each other and solving for the variable, which gives me the points where they intersect. But I'm having problems solving for the variable in some of these.

For example (sec^2)/2 is the top of the curve and 2cos^(2)x is the bottom curve. I want to set them both equal to each other to find where they meet, but I have no idea how to solve for that variable.

Wow, the latex was working, and when I edited, it stopped working.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried setting them equal to each other and multiplying both sides by 2 to get rid of the fraction. But then I still have a cosine and a secant. I tried turning the cosine into a secant, but that just gave me a fraction again and another problem to deal with.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2
    The latex doesn't show after you edit until you refresh.

after you multiply by 2, take the square root of both sides. Then see if you can continue.

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

After you edit, if the LaTeX isn't working, try hitting refresh (F5).

From here, try multiplying both sides by cos2 x. That will get rid of the fraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook