Solving for the Variable in Curves Intersection

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curves
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving equations for intersecting curves. The speaker attempted to set the equations equal to each other and multiply by 2, but still had trouble solving for the variable. The other speaker suggests taking the square root and multiplying by cos2x to eliminate the fraction.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

So what I've been doing to solve these questions is to set the two equations of the curves equal to each other and solving for the variable, which gives me the points where they intersect. But I'm having problems solving for the variable in some of these.

For example (sec^2)/2 is the top of the curve and 2cos^(2)x is the bottom curve. I want to set them both equal to each other to find where they meet, but I have no idea how to solve for that variable.

Wow, the latex was working, and when I edited, it stopped working.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting them equal to each other and multiplying both sides by 2 to get rid of the fraction. But then I still have a cosine and a secant. I tried turning the cosine into a secant, but that just gave me a fraction again and another problem to deal with.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The latex doesn't show after you edit until you refresh.

after you multiply by 2, take the square root of both sides. Then see if you can continue.

leroyjenkens said:
Wow, the latex was working, and when I edited, it stopped working.
After you edit, if the LaTeX isn't working, try hitting refresh (F5).

leroyjenkens said:
I tried setting them equal to each other and multiplying both sides by 2 to get rid of the fraction. But then I still have a cosine and a secant. I tried turning the cosine into a secant, but that just gave me a fraction again and another problem to deal with.
From here, try multiplying both sides by cos2 x. That will get rid of the fraction.

What is the "Area between the curves"?

The area between the curves refers to the region enclosed by two curves on a graph. It is the area that lies above one curve and below the other curve within a specified interval.

How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you first need to determine the points of intersection between the two curves. Then, you can use integration to calculate the definite integral of the difference between the two curves over the given interval.

What if the curves intersect multiple times?

If the curves intersect multiple times, you will need to break up the interval into smaller intervals where the curves only intersect once. You can then use the same method of finding the area between two curves for each smaller interval and add them together to get the total area.

Can the area between two curves be negative?

No, the area between two curves is always a positive value. This is because the definite integral is always calculated as the absolute value of the difference between the two curves.

What is the significance of finding the area between two curves?

Finding the area between two curves is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculating volumes of irregular shapes, determining probabilities, and analyzing data in fields like economics and physics.