Find the areas of the regions whose boundaries are given

• Thread starter duki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Areas
In summary, the first problem involves finding the area between the curves y=x^2-3 and y=1 when x is between -2 and 2. The second problem involves finding the sum of the areas between the curves y=x^2 and x+y=2 when x is between -2 and 2. The third problem involves finding the sum of the areas between the curves y=x^3-2x^2-3x and y=0 when x is between -1 and 0 and between 0 and 3.
duki
I have three questions:

Homework Statement

Find the areas of the regions whose boundaries are given.

Homework Equations

[tex]y=x^3-3[/tex]
[tex]y=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

x=-2, x=2
I got -10.67 but I know this can't be true because you can't have a negative area.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]y^2=x[/tex]
[tex]x+y=2[/tex]

y=1, y=-2
I got -4.5, but again that can't be right because it's negative :(

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]y=x^3-2x^2-3x[/tex]
[tex]y=0[/tex]

I got to x=0, x=-1, and x=3 but I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's just start with the first one. How did you get x=-2, x=2 or was that given? The curves y=x^3-3 and y=1 don't enclose any bounded region.

many apologies... it should have been x^2-3

If you get a negative area then you have the two functions in the wrong order. For x between -2 and 2, the graph of x2- 3 is below the graph of y= 1. You should be integrating [itex]\int [1- (x^2-3)]dx= \int (4- x^2)dx[/itex]. That, integrated between -2 and 2, is positive.

And for the last problem, you would have two different enclosed areas. One would be between -1 and 0 and the other between 0 and 3.
This means you would have to set up 2 different equations and find the sum of the areas.
HINT: The equations are very similar just siwtched in order.

1. What is the purpose of finding the areas of regions with given boundaries?

Finding the areas of regions with given boundaries is important in various fields of science, such as mathematics, physics, and geography. It allows us to better understand and analyze the properties and characteristics of a specific region or shape.

2. How do you find the area of a given region?

The method for finding the area of a given region depends on the shape and complexity of the boundaries. For simple shapes, such as rectangles and triangles, you can use basic formulas like length x width or base x height divided by 2. For more complex shapes, you may need to use advanced techniques like integration or dividing the region into smaller, simpler shapes.

3. What are the common units used to measure area?

The most common units used to measure area are square units, such as square meters, square feet, and square kilometers. In some cases, other units like acres, hectares, or square miles may also be used depending on the size and context of the region being measured.

4. Can the area of a region with given boundaries change?

Yes, the area of a region with given boundaries can change if the boundaries themselves change. For example, if a new building is constructed within a city block, the total area of the block will increase. Similarly, changes in natural boundaries like rivers and coastlines can also result in changes in the area of a region.

5. How can finding the areas of regions with given boundaries be applied in real-world scenarios?

Finding the areas of regions with given boundaries has many practical applications in the real world. It can be used to determine the size of a piece of land for construction or farming, calculate the amount of material needed for a project, or even understand the distribution of different species in an ecosystem. It is an essential tool in planning and decision-making processes in various industries and fields.