Area bounded by 3 curves: Help with Problem Solving

In summary, the problem is to find the area of the region enclosed by the curves 2y = 3sqrt(x), y=4, and 2y + 4x = 7. The bounded area can be calculated by integrating with respect to either x or y, using the coordinate points where the curves intersect to determine the limits of integration. The correct answer is found to be 3475/432 by using both methods.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Area between curves problem I cannot get?

I can't get the right answer to this problem. Can someone show it to me?

It's:
Sketch the region enclosed by the curves given below. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.

The curves are

2y = 3sqrt(x)
y=4
2y + 4x = 7

I am integrating with respect to y since y=4 was given, but my webwork keeps saying my answer is wrong. Someone please help.

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: lilith's question at Yahoo! Anwers regarding finding the area bounded by three curves

Hello lilith,

First let's sketch the area to be found, with the bounded area shaded in red:

View attachment 1301

Now, we may integrate with respect to either $x$ or $y$. I prefer using $y$ as we may use one integral, but we will use both methods, the second as a means of checking our result.

To integrate with respect to $y$, we need to find the lower limit of integration, which is the intersection of the slant line and the parabolic curve. As we will need to know both coordinates for both methods, we will equate them to get the $x$-coordinate:

\(\displaystyle 2y=3\sqrt{x}=7-4x\)

Square both sides:

\(\displaystyle 9x=49-56x+16x^2\)

Arrange in standard quadratic form:

\(\displaystyle 16x^2-65x+49=0\)

Factor:

\(\displaystyle (x-1)(16x-49)=0\)

Discarding the extraneous root, we are left with:

\(\displaystyle x=1\,\therefore\,y=\frac{3}{2}\)

Thus, the bounded area $A$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_{\frac{3}{2}}^4 \left(\frac{2y}{3} \right)^2-\frac{7-2y}{4}\,dy=\int_{\frac{3}{2}}^4 \frac{4}{9}y^2+\frac{1}{2}y-\frac{7}{4}\,dy\)

Applying the FTOC, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle A=\left[\frac{4}{27}y^3+\frac{1}{4}y^2-\frac{7}{4}y \right]_{\frac{3}{2}}^4=\left(\frac{256}{27}+4-7 \right)-\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{9}{16}-\frac{21}{8} \right)=\frac{175}{27}+\frac{25}{16}=\frac{3475}{432}\)

Now let's integrate with respect to $x$:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_{-\frac{1}{4}}^1 4-\left(\frac{7}{2}-2x \right)\,dx+\int_1^{\frac{64}{9}} 4-\left(\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{x} \right)\,dx=\int_{-\frac{1}{4}}^1 2x+\frac{1}{2}\,dx+\int_1^{\frac{64}{9}} 4-\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{x}\,dx\)

Applying the FTOC, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle A=\left[x^2+\frac{1}{2}x \right]_{-\frac{1}{4}}^1+\left[4x-x^{\frac{3}{2}}\right]_1^{\frac{64}{9}}=\left(\frac{3}{2}+\frac{1}{16} \right)+\left(\frac{256}{27}-3 \right)=\frac{25}{16}+\frac{175}{27}=\frac{3475}{432}\)

Attachments

• lilith.jpg
    lilith.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 49

Related to Area bounded by 3 curves: Help with Problem Solving

1. What is the formula for finding the area bounded by three curves?

The formula for finding the area bounded by three curves is to first identify the points of intersection between the curves. Then, use integration to find the area between each pair of curves, and finally subtract the smaller area from the larger area to find the total bounded area.

2. How do I identify the points of intersection between the curves?

To identify the points of intersection, set each pair of curves equal to each other and solve for the x-values. These x-values represent the points of intersection between the curves.

3. Can I use any integration method to find the area between the curves?

Yes, you can use any integration method that you are comfortable with, such as the midpoint rule, the trapezoidal rule, or Simpson's rule. Just make sure to apply the method separately for each pair of curves.

4. What if one of the curves is not a function?

If one of the curves is not a function, you can still find the bounded area by breaking it down into smaller sections that are functions. Then, find the area for each section individually and add them together to find the total bounded area.

5. Is there a graphical method for finding the area bounded by three curves?

Yes, you can use a graphical method by plotting the three curves on a coordinate plane and visually estimating the area between them. However, this method may not be as accurate as using integration to find the exact area.