Calculating Area of a Polar Graph with One Loop | Take Home Test Extra Credit

In summary, the problem is to compute the area enclosed by one loop of the graph given by r = sqrt(sin(3{theta})). The graph has three loops and the area within one loop can be found by integrating from 0 to pi/3. It is important to note that the integrand is undefined for theta in [pi/3, 2pi/3] due to the square root. The formula for the area effectively eliminates the square root, making it possible to find the area within one loop. It is also possible to find the area of the entire graph and divide it by the number of loops.
OrbsAndSuch
This is an extra credit problem for a take home test, so i will understand if no one feels comfortable helping me out, but any advice is greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Homework Statement

Compute the area enclosed by one loop of the graph given by r = sqrt(sin(3{theta}))

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

The graph makes 3 loops, so i tried finding the area from (0, 2{pi}) but all come up with is 0

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
You get one loop as theta ranges from 0 to pi/3.

Thank you Mark. Is finding the finding the area of the entire graph, then dividing that answer by the number of loops a viable method for this type of problem?

You could do it that way, I suppose, but it makes more sense to me to get the area within one loop and multiply it by the number of loops. Keep in mind that the integrand is undefined for theta in [pi/3, 2pi/3], because of the square root.

The formula for the area [ A = (1/2)*r2 ] effectively eliminates the square root, so i don't quite understand how its undefined from [pi/3, 2pi/3] because of the square root.

However after proving to myself that r = 0 at 0 and pi/3, I have successfully found the area of one loop. Thanks again for all the help Mark :smile:

I was just looking at r in your first post, and wasn't thinking about the integral.

Related to Calculating Area of a Polar Graph with One Loop | Take Home Test Extra Credit

What is the formula for finding the area of a polar graph?

The formula for finding the area of a polar graph is A = 1/2 ∫r²dθ, where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the polar axis.

Can the area of a polar graph be negative?

No, the area of a polar graph cannot be negative since it represents a physical quantity and cannot have a negative value.

How is the area of a polar graph different from the area of a Cartesian graph?

The area of a polar graph is calculated using the distance from the origin and the angle, while the area of a Cartesian graph is calculated using the length and width of the shape.

What is the purpose of finding the area of a polar graph?

The purpose of finding the area of a polar graph is to determine the size of a shape or region in a polar coordinate system. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the area of curved or irregular shapes.

Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding the area of a polar graph?

Yes, there are limitations to using the formula for finding the area of a polar graph. It can only be used for shapes that can be expressed in polar coordinates and for regions that are bounded by a single curve. It cannot be used for shapes with holes or multiple curves.