Calculating Area of Ellipse using Eccentricity and Semi-Minor Axis

In summary, The conversation is about finding the area of an ellipse using the equation r=\frac{a(1-e^2)}{1+e\cos\theta} and the integral A=\int r^2\,d\theta. There are suggestions to try different substitutions, such as \theta=2\arctan(x) or z=ei\theta. There is also a discussion about the difficulty of the integral and its form, \int\frac{1}{1+2e\cos\theta+e^{2}\cos^{2}\theta}d\theta.
AStaunton
Hi there.

have been looking at the problem:

given that [tex]r=\frac{a(1-e^2)}{1+e\cos\theta}[/tex]

where:
r is the distance from one Focus [tex]F[/tex] to a point on the ellipse
a is semi minor axis
e is eccentricity
[tex]\theta[/tex] is angle (going anti-clockwise) from the focus [tex]F[/tex]

show that [tex]A=\pi ab[/tex]

where A is area and b is semiminor axis.

Any tips on where to get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
forgot to say, It feels like I should be using an integration to find the area of the top half of the ellipse, between [tex]\theta = 0[/tex] and [tex]\theta = \pi[/tex]

so end up with something like: [tex]\int dr = \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{a(1-e^2)}{1 + e\cos\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Last edited:
very sorry, still having trouble with latex and how the posting system works (would I be correct in saying that there are quite a few bugs?), I made an error and my integral should read:
[tex]
\int dr = \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{a(1-e^2)}{1 + e\cos\theta} d\theta
[/tex]

Try setting theta=2*arctan(x), then you should get a rational function of x. Remember that a and e are constants.

Thanks for your reply...would you mind expanding a bit on why [tex]\theta=2\arctan(x)[/tex] helps?

Just to add, it seems like the only problem is that the function [tex]r=\frac{a(1-e^{2})}{1+e\cos\theta}[/tex]
is not easy to integrate with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex]

Well, [tex]\theta = 2 tan^{-1}(x)[/tex] is a standard substitution for rational trigonometric functions. You can find it on Wikipedia as the Weierstrass Substitution, and it is also written as [tex]x=tan(\theta/2)[/tex].

To calculate the area, you need to use

[tex]A = \int r^2\,d\theta[/tex]

Note also that

[tex]r=\frac{a(1-e^2)}{1+e\cos\theta}[/tex]

isn't the same as saying

[tex]dr = \frac{a(1-e^2)}{1 + e\cos\theta} d\theta[/tex]

so your integral doesn't make sense from that perspective either.

why would it be [tex]r^2[/tex] ? generally speaking to find area under curve [tex]f(x)[/tex] isn't the integral:
[tex]A=\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex] ?

That's specific to cartesian coordinates. It doesn't work when using polar coordinates.

just a further query to all the helpful comments to this problem:

to find area of the ellipse we use:

[tex]A=\int_{0}^{2\pi}r^{2}d\theta[/tex] where:

[tex]r=\frac{a(1-e^{2})}{1+e\cos\theta}[/tex]

which results in the final term to be integrated (with all constants taken outside the integral):

[tex]\int\frac{1}{1+2e\cos\theta+e^{2}\cos^{2}\theta}d\theta[/tex]

Can someone recommend how I might integrate the above expression? (and I hope everything I've stated above is correct)

just to add...It feels like I must be over-complicating matters for myself...because with shapes such as ellipses, using polar coords should make things easier (at least that's my understanding)..
However, finding the area of ellipse in cartesian coords is quite easy where as the integral I'm faced with in polar seems very tricky...

AStaunton said:
just to add...It feels like I must be over-complicating matters for myself...because with shapes such as ellipses, using polar coords should make things easier (at least that's my understanding)..
However, finding the area of ellipse in cartesian coords is quite easy where as the integral I'm faced with in polar seems very tricky...

Part of the difficulty in this integral probably arises from the fact that this equation of the ellipse gives a graph that is not centered at the origin. The xy origin for this ellipse is at the right focus, not the center of the ellipse.

If you're familiar with complex contour integrals, it's pretty straightforward to do the integral using the substitution z=e.

Did you try Char. Limit's suggestion of using the substitution x=tan(θ/2)? I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try.

I don't think Vera's suggestion applies to:

My understanding is that it is for integrals of the form:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{1+f(\theta)}d\theta[/tex] where f(theta) is a trig function

AStaunton said:
I don't think Vera's suggestion applies to:

My understanding is that it is for integrals of the form:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{1+f(\theta)}d\theta[/tex] where f(theta) is a trig function

Actually, here is where you'd be wrong. Admittedly, the resulting integral is a very tricky rational function, but the substitution will still work.

1. How do you calculate the area of an ellipse using eccentricity and semi-minor axis?

To calculate the area of an ellipse using eccentricity and semi-minor axis, you can use the formula A = π * a * b, where a is the semi-major axis and b is the semi-minor axis. The eccentricity of an ellipse is the ratio of the distance between the two foci to the length of the major axis. You can use the formula e = c/a, where c is the distance between the foci and a is the semi-major axis, to find the eccentricity. Once you have both the eccentricity and semi-minor axis, you can plug them into the formula to calculate the area.

2. What is the difference between eccentricity and semi-major/minor axis in an ellipse?

Eccentricity and semi-major/minor axis are all measurements related to the shape of an ellipse. The eccentricity is a measure of how "squished" the ellipse is, with a higher eccentricity indicating a more elongated shape. The semi-major and semi-minor axis are the two perpendicular radii of the ellipse, with the semi-major axis being the longer of the two. These measurements are all related to each other and can be used to calculate the area of an ellipse.

3. Can you use any other measurements to calculate the area of an ellipse?

Yes, there are other ways to calculate the area of an ellipse besides using eccentricity and semi-minor axis. For example, you can use the formula A = π * a * b, where a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively. You can also use the formula A = π * r1 * r2, where r1 and r2 are the lengths of the two radii that intersect at the center of the ellipse. However, using the eccentricity and semi-minor axis can be more useful if this information is readily available.

4. Is there a special formula for calculating the area of a circle?

Yes, there is a special formula for calculating the area of a circle, which is A = π * r2, where r is the radius of the circle. This formula can be derived from the formula for calculating the area of an ellipse, where the eccentricity is 0 and the semi-major and semi-minor axes are equal (since a circle has equal radii).

5. Can the area of an ellipse be negative?

No, the area of an ellipse cannot be negative. The formula for calculating the area of an ellipse, A = π * a * b, always results in a positive value since both a and b are positive lengths. If you come across a negative value when calculating the area of an ellipse, it is likely an error in your calculation or input values.