1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area under curve

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

area of largest rectangle with sides parallel to axes (1st quad) under y=4-x^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Area ` = (4-3x^2)

x=0 and sqrt(4/3)

The book says 4/3 (1.15) is wrong and that 3.08 is correct, how is this possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2
    Always draw a diagram whenever possible. Your area formula isn't quite correct. Moreover, your derivative isn't correct (either use the product rule, or first expand your formula for the area and then differentiate). But most importantly, once you find critical points always check to see if your critical points are indeed max/mins via either the first or second derivative test!
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you think (4/3)(1.15) would be correct? For [itex]x= \sqrt{4/3}[/itex], that is (x2)(x), NOT x(4- x2).

rs1n, perhaps the original post has been edited since you saw it but that IS the correct area (since the rectangle is only in the first quadrant) and the derivative is correct. He got the correct value for x but then calculated the area incorrectly.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  5. Dec 5, 2007 #4
    No, I was quite mistaken (because I've used this problem on an exam before, but with the upper half plane, and just assumed it was the same :-). Thank you for pointing out my mistake. You are also correct in pointing out that his derivative is correct. Wow, what a lapse in thinking for me on this one!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?