Arhenius equation solving for K1/T2

• Thread starter lazybone
  • Start date
In summary, the student is seeking help with a chemistry problem involving solving for K2 or T2. They are using the equation ln(K1/K2)=Ea/R[(1/T1)-(1/T2)] and are struggling to isolate K2. They have attempted to solve the problem but have not been able to get the correct answer of 6.07. They are seeking guidance on how to isolate K2 and potentially find T2.
lazybone
Hey guys its my first time in this forum and I need help with my chemistry. I guess its kind if basic chem. Basically its a question to solve for K2 or T2. Like I'm not sure how to isolate the k or T.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

ln(K1/K2)=Ea/R(1/T1)-(1/T2)

Ln(23/x)=139J/8.314J(1/750)-(1/800)

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting a different answer than the real one . My professor said it is 6.07. Please help I'm not sure how to isolate the K2. And what happens if I need to find T2. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use simple Algebra to solve this. Show some work on how you tried to isolate it, and I will then guide you on how to figure it out.

lazybone said:

Homework Equations

ln(K1/K2)=Ea/R(1/T1)-(1/T2)

Ln(23/x)=139J/8.314J(1/750)-(1/800)

The equation is: ln(K1/K2)=Ea/R[(1/T1)-(1/T2)]

Related to Arhenius equation solving for K1/T2

1. What is the Arhenius equation?

The Arhenius equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between temperature and the rate of a chemical reaction. It states that the rate constant (K) of a reaction is directly proportional to the activation energy (Ea) and the temperature (T) in Kelvin.

2. How do you solve for K1/T2 in the Arhenius equation?

To solve for K1/T2 in the Arhenius equation, you first need to rearrange the equation to isolate K1/T2 on one side. This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by the exponential term e^(-Ea/RT), where R is the gas constant. Then, you can plug in the values for the given temperature (T2) and activation energy (Ea) to solve for K1/T2.

3. What is the significance of solving for K1/T2 in the Arhenius equation?

Solving for K1/T2 in the Arhenius equation allows us to determine the rate constant (K) for a chemical reaction at a specific temperature (T). This is important because it helps us understand the relationship between temperature and reaction rate, and can also be used to predict the rate of a reaction at different temperatures.

4. What units are used for K1/T2 in the Arhenius equation?

The units for K1/T2 in the Arhenius equation will depend on the units used for temperature (T) and activation energy (Ea). Generally, temperature is measured in Kelvin (K) and activation energy in joules per mole (J/mol). This would result in units of J/mol*K for K1/T2.

5. Can the Arhenius equation be used for all chemical reactions?

No, the Arhenius equation is specifically used for reactions that follow the Arrhenius law, which states that the rate of a reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of reactants and their activation energy. It is not applicable to all chemical reactions, but it is widely used in many fields of chemistry.