Is Releasing Hydrogen Ions the Defining Characteristic of Arrhenius Acids?

In summary, an Arrhenius acid is a substance that, when dissolved in water, increases the amount of hydrogen ions in the solution. This definition means that statement c) is always true, while statements a) and b) can potentially be false. Additionally, statement d) is not necessarily true as it is possible for an Arrhenius acid to be a neutral molecule.
alias_grace
An Arrhenius acid
a) in an ionic compound that contains hydrogen atoms
b) produces an aqueous solution whose pH is greater than 7
c) releases hydrogen ions in aqueous solution
d) is always a neutral molecule

I know that c) is true and d) is false. However, I don't know if a) and b) are within the definition of Arrhenius acid. My guess is that only c) is true. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the Arrhenius definition, an acid is any substance, which when dissolved in water, tends to increase the amount of H+

so my guess would be that C is always true, the others aren't necessarily true.

Yes, C is correct by defintion.

a is false because there are some ionic compounds that contain hydrogen atoms and are not acids- ie. NH4NO3, NaHCO3

b is false because >7 pH is a base

d wouldn't be an acid or a base

Thank you. I was trying to think of things to disprove the other answers to validate my answer :)

What is the Arrhenius acid definition?

The Arrhenius acid definition is a concept in chemistry that defines an acid as a substance that produces hydrogen ions (H+) in aqueous solutions. This definition was proposed by Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius in the late 19th century.

What are the characteristics of an Arrhenius acid?

An Arrhenius acid is a substance that is capable of donating a proton (H+) in aqueous solutions. It typically has a sour taste, turns litmus paper red, and has a pH less than 7.

What are some examples of Arrhenius acids?

Some common examples of Arrhenius acids include hydrochloric acid (HCl), sulfuric acid (H2SO4), and acetic acid (CH3COOH). These substances are all capable of producing hydrogen ions in aqueous solutions.

What is the difference between Arrhenius acid and Bronsted-Lowry acid?

The Arrhenius acid definition is specific to aqueous solutions, while the Bronsted-Lowry acid definition is more general and can be applied to non-aqueous solutions as well. Additionally, the Bronsted-Lowry definition defines an acid as a substance that donates a proton, while the Arrhenius definition focuses on the production of hydrogen ions.

How is the strength of an Arrhenius acid determined?

The strength of an Arrhenius acid is determined by its ability to dissociate and produce hydrogen ions in aqueous solutions. Strong acids completely dissociate, while weak acids only partially dissociate, resulting in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions.