Astronomy iron ratios in galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of [Fe/H] ratios to describe metallicity in a galaxy and the confusion surrounding [element/Fe] ratios. The participants speculate that the special properties of iron and the process of nucleosynthesis may be related to this. They also mention that in astronomy, "metals" refers to all elements except hydrogen and helium.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

I understand that [Fe/H] ratios can be used to describe metallicity in a galaxy... but I'm having trouble understanding what [element/Fe] ratios should tell you.

Anyone have an idea?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Any conjecture? Is there anything special about Fe that might nave to do wth it?

Well, I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that normal nucleosynthesis processes can't make elements past iron (nuclear fusion consumes rather than releases energy for heavier elements than iron, so the heavier elements are made in supernova or more energetic processes)

am i heading in the right direction?

How long does it take to produce iron?

Puchinita5 said:
am i heading in the right direction?

I really don't know for sure as I am not knowledgeable about astrophysics, but it sounds a reasonable conjecture, which will help you latch on when you hear the official explanation which I hope will come here.

As this forum is for chemistry and there isn't one specifically for astronomy homework, perhaps not everyone here knows that when astronomers say 'metals' they mean every element that is not H or He. :))
I just thought you might like to know. :)

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of iron ratios in galaxies?

Astronomers use iron ratios in galaxies as indicators of the age and chemical evolution of the galaxy. Iron is created through nuclear fusion in stars, so the amount of iron present can tell us about the star formation history of the galaxy.

2. How do astronomers measure iron ratios in galaxies?

Astronomers use spectroscopy to measure the amount of iron present in a galaxy. This involves analyzing the light that is emitted from the galaxy and looking for specific signatures of iron in the spectrum.

3. Are there any patterns or trends in iron ratios among galaxies?

Yes, astronomers have observed that galaxies with higher iron ratios tend to be older and have had more star formation activity. This is because as stars age and die, they release more iron into the galaxy, increasing the overall iron ratio.

4. Can iron ratios in galaxies tell us anything about the formation of the universe?

Yes, iron ratios in galaxies can give us insight into the early stages of the universe's formation. As the universe expanded and cooled after the Big Bang, the first stars formed and produced iron. By studying the iron ratios in distant galaxies, astronomers can learn about the chemical composition of the early universe.

5. How do iron ratios in galaxies change over time?

Iron ratios in galaxies tend to increase over time as more stars form and die, releasing more iron into the galaxy. However, there can be variations in this trend depending on the specific star formation history and chemical evolution of each galaxy.