1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy iron ratios in galaxy

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I understand that [Fe/H] ratios can be used to describe metallicity in a galaxy... but I'm having trouble understanding what [element/Fe] ratios should tell you.

Anyone have an idea?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Any conjecture? Is there anything special about Fe that might nave to do wth it?

4. Oct 17, 2014 #3
    Well, I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that normal nucleosynthesis processes can't make elements past iron (nuclear fusion consumes rather than releases energy for heavier elements than iron, so the heavier elements are made in supernova or more energetic processes)

am i heading in the right direction?

5. Oct 17, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How long does it take to produce iron?

6. Oct 17, 2014 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I really don't know for sure as I am not knowledgeable about astrophysics, but it sounds a reasonable conjecture, which will help you latch on when you hear the official explanation which I hope will come here.

As this forum is for chemistry and there isn't one specifically for astronomy homework, perhaps not everyone here knows that when astronomers say 'metals' they mean every element that is not H or He. :))
    I just thought you might like to know. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted