At what angle of incidence is amplitude coefficient of reflection parallel to the inc

In summary, the angle of incidence is the angle at which a wave or ray of light strikes a surface or boundary. The amplitude coefficient of reflection is a measure of how much of the incident wave's amplitude is reflected off of a surface or boundary. This coefficient is directly proportional to the angle of incidence, meaning it increases as the angle of incidence increases. When the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, the amplitude coefficient of reflection is parallel to the incident wave, known as the law of reflection. Scientists can measure this coefficient at different angles of incidence using various methods, such as measuring the intensity of reflected light or the amplitude of the reflected wave.
alchemist7
At what angle of incidence is amplitude coefficient of reflection parallel to the incidence plane 0?

my solution is that by Fresnell's equation, r//=tan(i-i`)/tan(i+i`)=0, i=i`,i=90.so for whatever surface,angle of incidence should be 90.

is it correct? different from the answer!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution is partially correct. The amplitude coefficient of reflection being parallel to the incidence plane does indeed occur at an angle of incidence of 90 degrees, also known as the normal angle. However, it is not always the case that the amplitude coefficient of reflection will be 0 at this angle. This only occurs for surfaces with a perfectly smooth and flat interface, known as a specular reflection. In most cases, there will still be some reflection at this angle, but it will be significantly reduced compared to other angles of incidence.

1. What is the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which a wave or ray of light strikes a surface or boundary.

2. How is the amplitude coefficient of reflection defined?

The amplitude coefficient of reflection is a measure of how much of the incident wave's amplitude is reflected off of a surface or boundary.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the amplitude coefficient of reflection?

The amplitude coefficient of reflection is directly proportional to the angle of incidence. This means that as the angle of incidence increases, the amplitude coefficient of reflection also increases.

4. At what angle of incidence is the amplitude coefficient of reflection parallel to the incident wave?

The amplitude coefficient of reflection is parallel to the incident wave when the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This is known as the law of reflection.

5. How do scientists measure the amplitude coefficient of reflection at different angles of incidence?

Scientists use a variety of methods, such as using a laser to measure the intensity of the reflected light, or using specialized equipment to measure the amplitude of the reflected wave. They then compare these measurements to the incident wave to determine the amplitude coefficient of reflection at different angles of incidence.