At What temperature will air get a larger kinematic viscosity than crude oil?

In summary, to determine the temperature at which air will have a larger kinematic viscosity than crude oil, you will need to calculate the kinematic viscosity at different temperatures for both substances using the given equations and compare them until the kinematic viscosity of air is greater than that of crude oil.
wildleaf

Homework Statement

At What temperature will air get a larger kinematic viscosity than crude oil?
Please explain step by step.
I believe we have compare the viscosity of air and the oil using the formula: kinematic viscosity = dynamic viscosity / density

Homework Equations

inematic viscosity = dynamic viscosity / density
density = pressure / RT

The Attempt at a Solution

so what I did so far was make the kine viscosity (of air) = kine viscosity (of oil)

dynamic viscosity / (pressure / RT) = dynamic viscosity / (pressure / RT)
NOW I AM STUCK! I do not know what values to use for dyn viscosity, pressure, R. I know I have to solve for T to get the answer.
(the answer is greater than 7 but no clue how to reach there w/o those values)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best approach for this is to calculate the kinematic viscosity at different temperatures for both air and crude oil. For example, you can start with a temperature of 10°C for both air and crude oil and calculate the kinematic viscosity using the equation: Kinematic viscosity = dynamic viscosity / density Where the dynamic viscosity is obtained from a viscosity table and the density is calculated using the ideal gas law: PV = nRT Where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the universal gas constant, and T is the temperature. Using this information, you can calculate the kinematic viscosity of air and crude oil at 10°C. Then, increase the temperature and repeat the calculations until the kinematic viscosity of air is larger than that of the crude oil. The temperature at which this occurs will be the answer to your question.

1. What is kinematic viscosity?

Kinematic viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow under the influence of gravity. It is a property of fluids that relates to their internal friction and is often used to characterize the thickness or "stickiness" of a fluid.

2. How is kinematic viscosity different from dynamic viscosity?

Kinematic viscosity is the ratio of dynamic viscosity (a fluid's resistance to flow due to internal friction) to density. It is a measure of how easily a fluid can flow, while dynamic viscosity is a measure of how difficult it is to deform a fluid.

3. What factors affect the kinematic viscosity of air and crude oil?

The kinematic viscosity of a fluid is affected by several factors including temperature, pressure, and composition. In air, temperature has the greatest impact on kinematic viscosity, while for crude oil, temperature and composition (such as the presence of impurities) are the primary factors.

4. At what temperature will air have a larger kinematic viscosity than crude oil?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively since the kinematic viscosity of air and crude oil can vary greatly depending on their specific temperature and composition. Generally, however, air requires much lower temperatures to have a higher kinematic viscosity than crude oil.

5. Why is kinematic viscosity important in scientific research and engineering?

Kinematic viscosity is an important property of fluids that affects their behavior and performance in various applications. It is used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and petroleum to design and optimize processes and equipment. In research, kinematic viscosity is also used to study the flow of fluids and to develop new materials with desired properties.