Kinematic viscosity for water on Mars

• Thread starter wildonion
  • Start date
Hi - I am trying to understand the relationship between atmosphere pressure, viscosity, and density - specifically water. Is there are way to estimate a range of dynamic viscosity and density values based on varying atmospheric pressures and/or temperature that I could use on any planet. Thanks for any help.

Hi, thanks for responding. I am talking about liquid water.

The density and viscosity are essentially functions only of temperature (which you can look up online).

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
The density and viscosity are essentially functions only of temperature (which you can look up online).
@wildonian
You can qualitatively observe water's viscosity dependence on temperature by paying attention to the behavior of water and windshield wipers on your automobile. Technically speaking, it's a lot more 'gooey' in winter than in summer. That caused me to look up viscosity versus temperature of water , found it in ASME steam tables before the days of internet. (Really i was trying to figure out why in wintertime in S Florida Biscayne Bay is so much choppier than in summer.. But that's another thread..).

https://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Viscosity.pdf
viscosity_water.jpg

Attachments