Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic viscosity for water on Mars

1. Apr 12, 2018 #1
    Hi - I am trying to understand the relationship between atmosphere pressure, viscosity, and density - specifically water. Is there are way to estimate a range of dynamic viscosity and density values based on varying atmospheric pressures and/or temperature that I could use on any planet. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2018 #2
    Are you talking about liquid water or water vapor?

4. Apr 12, 2018 #3
    Hi, thanks for responding. I am talking about liquid water.

5. Apr 12, 2018 #4
    The density and viscosity are essentially functions only of temperature (which you can look up online).

6. Apr 19, 2018 at 10:58 AM #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@wildonian
    You can qualitatively observe water's viscosity dependence on temperature by paying attention to the behavior of water and windshield wipers on your automobile. Technically speaking, it's a lot more 'gooey' in winter than in summer. That caused me to look up viscosity versus temperature of water , found it in ASME steam tables before the days of internet. (Really i was trying to figure out why in wintertime in S Florida Biscayne Bay is so much choppier than in summer.. But that's another thread..).

https://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Viscosity.pdf
    viscosity_water.jpg

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted