1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atmosphere model approximation limits

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    I am modelling the atmosphere as a perfect, static gas subject to uniform gravity, assuming ideal gas equation, the density is found to follow: p=A*exp(-z/H) where A is a const, z is the heigh, and L is the scale height.

I want to know when this approximation breaks down! at what density? i am thinking that as the density goes down the approximation for he idea gas law breaks, but not quite sure if there is a specific value at which it breaks! maybe a certain number of molecules??

thanks a million!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2
    Are you asking (a) What are the limitations of the ideal gas law? or (b) What are the limitations of the atmospheric density equation?

I will address the second question. The equation you gave assumes that the temperature of the atmosphere is independent of altitude, such that the scale height is a constant. If you take into account the fact that the temperature varies, then the exponential term contains an integral, and the parameter A is temperature dependent.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    Thank Chestermiller!

The thing is that the questions asks at which density the approximation breaks and consequently at what height, i was thinking maybe that would happen at the stratosphere, as the temperature starts to increase in their due to the absorption of UV, so above 9km!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook