Atmosphere model approximation limits

In summary, the density equation for a perfect, static gas subject to uniform gravity and following the ideal gas law, p=A*exp(-z/H), has limitations when the temperature of the atmosphere varies with altitude. The parameter A is temperature dependent and the approximation may break down at higher altitudes, possibly above 9km in the stratosphere.
mumaga
I am modelling the atmosphere as a perfect, static gas subject to uniform gravity, assuming ideal gas equation, the density is found to follow: p=A*exp(-z/H) where A is a const, z is the heigh, and L is the scale height.

I want to know when this approximation breaks down! at what density? i am thinking that as the density goes down the approximation for he idea gas law breaks, but not quite sure if there is a specific value at which it breaks! maybe a certain number of molecules??

thanks a million!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mumaga said:
I am modelling the atmosphere as a perfect, static gas subject to uniform gravity, assuming ideal gas equation, the density is found to follow: p=A*exp(-z/H) where A is a const, z is the heigh, and L is the scale height.

I want to know when this approximation breaks down! at what density? i am thinking that as the density goes down the approximation for he idea gas law breaks, but not quite sure if there is a specific value at which it breaks! maybe a certain number of molecules??

thanks a million!

Are you asking (a) What are the limitations of the ideal gas law? or (b) What are the limitations of the atmospheric density equation?

I will address the second question. The equation you gave assumes that the temperature of the atmosphere is independent of altitude, such that the scale height is a constant. If you take into account the fact that the temperature varies, then the exponential term contains an integral, and the parameter A is temperature dependent.

Thank Chestermiller!

The thing is that the questions asks at which density the approximation breaks and consequently at what height, i was thinking maybe that would happen at the stratosphere, as the temperature starts to increase in their due to the absorption of UV, so above 9km!

1. What is an atmosphere model approximation limit?

An atmosphere model approximation limit refers to the maximum level of accuracy that a model can achieve in representing the complex and dynamic nature of Earth's atmosphere. It is based on the simplifications and assumptions made in the model and the available computational resources.

2. How are atmosphere model approximation limits determined?

The limits are determined by evaluating the model's ability to reproduce observed atmospheric processes and phenomena. This is done through comparisons with real-world data and by assessing the model's sensitivity to changes in input parameters and boundary conditions.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of an atmosphere model?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of an atmosphere model, including the complexity of atmospheric processes, the resolution of the model grid, the availability of observational data for validation, and the skill of the model developers in incorporating the latest scientific understanding.

4. Are there different types of atmosphere model approximation limits?

Yes, there are different types of limits depending on the specific aspect of the atmosphere that is being modeled. For example, there are limits for radiation, clouds, precipitation, and atmospheric chemistry. Each of these limits is influenced by different factors and may require different approaches in model development.

5. How can atmosphere model approximation limits be improved?

Atmosphere model approximation limits can be improved through advancements in computing power, data availability, and scientific understanding. This can lead to the development of more sophisticated and accurate models, as well as the refinement of existing models through parameterization and calibration processes.