Exploring Atoms: Bonding and Forces

In summary: Any other questions? Nope? Alright then, have a good one!In summary, the author explains that there are different types of atomic bonds, but that no book can explain everything about any kind of bonding.
Allojubrious
This may be a simple question, but I still haven't a clear answer to it.
How do atoms bond together? What force is used to bond them together??
(Please if you could answer both of these questions it would be great.)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Allojubrious said:
This may be a simple question, but I still haven't a clear answer to it.
How do atoms bond together? What force is used to bond them together??
(Please if you could answer both of these questions it would be great.)

Thanks.

Er.. what type of answers were you given? Were you given answers that were not clear, not something you could understand, or simply something you just don't want to accept?

Bonds between atoms come in many different types, which I'm sure you've been told if you've asked about it. For example, this clearly explains some of the different types of chemical bonding:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/chemical/bond.html

So based on this, what exactly is it that you do not understand? And at what level do you understand quantum mechanics to be able to understand the technical details of such explanation?

Zz.

Well, I know quite a bit about Quantum Mechanics, so feel free to explain however you wish in quantum mechanics. But it is the atomic bonding in general that I do not understand, and especially I'm trying to figure out what force is used for atomic bonding. But the link you gave me helps very much, thank you. So right now that question is which fundamental force is used in atomic bonding??
Also in the link you gave me are those the only types of bonds there are or are there more?

Thanks.

Last edited:
...which fundamental force is used in atomic bonding??
Electromagnetic force.

Also in the link you gave me are those the only types of bonds there are or are there more?

There can be other type of bonds as well depending upon the approach of the researcher/professor. The various bonds are just the models for the EM interaction and hence they should not be taken too seriously, though, they are great to get some physical insight into what is going on.

Oh well thank you very much for the help!

Try to read:

W. Kutzelnigg
The physical mechanism of the chemical bond.
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 12, 546 (1973)

Now does this book explain everything about Atomic Bonding and all types of Atomic bonding??

No book can possibly explain everything about any kind of bonding. Please do not use the term "Atomic Bonding". There are molecules once there is any kind of bonding.

Well thanks anyway for the book and the help.

Its not a book but an article which you can find here
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.197305461/abstract
or in your library.

Oh, well thanks for the link!

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the basic unit of matter that makes up all substances in the universe. It is composed of a nucleus, which contains positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, surrounded by negatively charged electrons.

2. How do atoms bond with each other?

Atoms bond with each other through the sharing, gaining, or losing of electrons. This bonding process allows atoms to form molecules and compounds, which make up all substances in the world around us.

3. What are the different types of bonding?

There are three main types of bonding: covalent, ionic, and metallic. Covalent bonding involves the sharing of electrons between atoms, ionic bonding involves the transfer of electrons from one atom to another, and metallic bonding involves the sharing of electrons between a sea of delocalized electrons and positively charged metal ions.

4. What forces act on atoms?

There are several forces that act on atoms, including electromagnetic forces, nuclear forces, and gravitational forces. Electromagnetic forces are responsible for the interactions between charged particles, while nuclear forces are responsible for holding the nucleus together. Gravitational forces act on all objects with mass, including atoms.

5. How do scientists study atoms and their bonding?

Scientists study atoms and their bonding through various methods, including experiments, computer simulations, and theoretical models. These methods allow scientists to observe and manipulate atoms on a microscopic level, providing valuable insights into their structure and behavior.