1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic energy levels Silicon

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Silicon has the configuration [Mg] ##3p^2##.
    Explain why there are more L, S, J levels for the ##3p4p## configuration
    than in the ##3p^2## configuration.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thought is because in the ##3p^2## subshell you have less variations of ##M_l## and ##M_s## because both electrons cannot have the same quantum numbers, wheres with the ##3p4p## level, they could both have ##M_l=+1## and ##M_s=+1## because the ##n## the principle quantum number is different?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track. But there are more states than just the one you cited (##M_l=+1## and ##M_s=+1##).

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3
    Yes, i understand that there would twice (?) as many states in the excited level because the electrons would be free to have any ##m_l## or ##m_s##, but the states for the ##3p^2## level are restricted by the Pauli principle.

5. Jan 13, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Not twice, because it is only the states where the two electrons have the same spin in the same orbital that have to be discarted. But I think you get the idea.

6. Jan 13, 2015 #5
    Ah okay thankyou!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted