Atoms and electrons when one object is rubbed on another

dear reader,
what is happening to the atoms and electrons when one object is rubbed on another?

-benzun

Last edited by a moderator:

chroot

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Weak chemical bonds are forming and being broken repeatedly between atoms near or on the surfaces of the materials.

- Warren

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
and

in some cases a few electrons are dragged off of one object by the other object causing the two objects to be electrostatically charged.

Only a few of the atoms in the entire material will gain or lose an electron (if any at all). None of the atoms are moved (not significantly at least).

Originally posted by Chi Meson
and

Only a few of the atoms in the entire material will gain or lose an electron (if any at all). None of the atoms are moved (not significantly at least).
Have you seen tyre wear on a racing motorcycle? Surely this is 'significant' removal of atoms? (Or am I being pedantic?)

russ_watters

Mentor
Originally posted by Adrian Baker
Have you seen tyre wear on a racing motorcycle? Surely this is 'significant' removal of atoms? (Or am I being pedantic?)
Atoms can be removed BECAUSE OF high static friction, but the removal isn't part of the friction itself, its a biproduct. The static friction force would be higher in that case than the force holding the tire together. Kinda nitpicky, but there is a difference.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yeah, what he said!

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Actually, I thought it was a good and valid comment, and it was taking me a while to come back with an answer, but Russ's answer was better than mine!

Not sure about the validity, but with the amount I spend on tyres I kinda feel it is significant!

The Revelator

according to your answer....the electrons are dragged the item and are possitely or negatively charged, but also many items act differently due to polar covalent bonding, where a compound electronegativety acts as a charge where as the substance is slightly positive as well as slightly negative...they product of reaction occurs for whatever part has the greater negativity....I think...lol

hey.......

How is heat produced due to friction? what has electromagnetic wave got to do with it?