Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atoms and electrons when one object is rubbed on another

1. Oct 1, 2003 #1
    dear reader,
    what is happening to the atoms and electrons when one object is rubbed on another?

-benzun

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Weak chemical bonds are forming and being broken repeatedly between atoms near or on the surfaces of the materials.

- Warren

4. Oct 1, 2003 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

and

in some cases a few electrons are dragged off of one object by the other object causing the two objects to be electrostatically charged.

Only a few of the atoms in the entire material will gain or lose an electron (if any at all). None of the atoms are moved (not significantly at least).

5. Oct 1, 2003 #4
    Have you seen tyre wear on a racing motorcycle? Surely this is 'significant' removal of atoms? (Or am I being pedantic?)

6. Oct 1, 2003 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Atoms can be removed BECAUSE OF high static friction, but the removal isn't part of the friction itself, its a biproduct. The static friction force would be higher in that case than the force holding the tire together. Kinda nitpicky, but there is a difference.

7. Oct 2, 2003 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, what he said!

8. Oct 2, 2003 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I thought it was a good and valid comment, and it was taking me a while to come back with an answer, but Russ's answer was better than mine!

9. Oct 2, 2003 #8
    Not sure about the validity, but with the amount I spend on tyres I kinda feel it is significant!

10. Oct 8, 2003 #9
    according to your answer....the electrons are dragged the item and are possitely or negatively charged, but also many items act differently due to polar covalent bonding, where a compound electronegativety acts as a charge where as the substance is slightly positive as well as slightly negative...they product of reaction occurs for whatever part has the greater negativity....I think...lol

11. Oct 9, 2003 #10
    hey.......

How is heat produced due to friction? what has electromagnetic wave got to do with it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?