How Does the DeBroglie Wavelength of an Electron Compare to Familiar Objects?

In summary, the deBroglie wavelength of an electron traveling at 2*10^6 m/sec is 3.64*10^-10 meters. This length does not come close to any familiar dimensions, but it is equivalent to 1 Ångström, a unit commonly used in measuring atomic distances.
pdhakal
a. Find the deBroglie wavelength of an electron traveling at 2*10^6 m/sec.
b. Does this length come close to any familiar dimensions? Explain

For part a. I did
lambda=h/(mv)
=(6.626*10^-34 J sec)/(9.11*10^-31 kg*2*10^6 m/sec)
= 3.64*10^-10 meters

I have the first one but I did not understand the second part.
Could someone please help me with this?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know some structure with a size of roughly 3.64*10^(-10) meters?
10^(-10)m even has a special name due to its importance.

I don't have any idea about the structure roughly to taht size but I know 10^-10 is 1 Armstrong

And where is that unit used?
(did you really need help to get that question?)

pdhakal said:
I don't have any idea about the structure roughly to taht size but I know 10^-10 is 1 Armstrong

Ångström

Had it been Armstrong, it must have been full of drugs, so much greater than 10-10m.

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element. It is composed of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and electrons that orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels.

2. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of these particles.

3. How do atoms interact with each other?

Atoms interact with each other through electromagnetic forces, which are mediated by the exchange of photons. These forces can either attract or repel atoms, depending on the charge of their particles.

4. What is a quantum mechanical model of an atom?

The quantum mechanical model of an atom is a mathematical representation that describes the behavior of electrons in an atom. It takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and wave-particle duality, to explain the behavior of electrons in specific energy levels around the nucleus.

5. How does quantum physics impact our daily lives?

Quantum physics has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and computers. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing new materials, medicines, and energy sources. Additionally, it has helped shape our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws that govern it.