Calculating Earth's Orbit Period using Kepler's Law of Periods

• Thread starter orbity
  • Start date
In summary: The difficulty is in accurately calculating the value of T. The standard (SI) units used for all the other constants and variables result in T being expressed in seconds, which is not what's required for the first part of the problem. You need to find the value of T in seconds, using the equation T^2 = \frac{4\pi^2}{GM}a^3.
orbity
Simple Physics question.

I thInk this is physics? anyhow.. :confused:

I found that the distance from the Earth to the sun is 1.5*10^11m , and
that the mass of the sun is 1.9*10^30kg,

and i found Keplers's Law of Periods here
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kepler.html#c6

but I do not understand how to do the rest... :shy: :yuck: :confused: :cry:

1.use Kepler’s Law of Periods to find the period of the earth’s orbit, recorded in seconds
2.show how to express your answer in years; and
3.if your answer does not agree with the accepted Earth orbital period of 365.25 days, explain the discrepancy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
orbity said:
I thInk this is physics? anyhow.. :confused:

I found that the distance from the Earth to the sun is 1.5*10^11m , and
that the mass of the sun is 1.9*10^30kg,

and i found Keplers's Law of Periods here
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kepler.html#c6

but I do not understand how to do the rest... :shy: :yuck: :confused: :cry:

1.use Kepler’s Law of Periods to find the period of the earth’s orbit, recorded in seconds
2.show how to express your answer in years; and
3.if your answer does not agree with the accepted Earth orbital period of 365.25 days, explain the discrepancy.

1. Just apply the formula. To help you out, write down the values of the variables and constants.

2. How many seconds in a year? (1 Year = 365 days*24 hours/day*60 minutes/hour*60 seconds/minute)

3. Think of the simplifications involved. Some hints : what's the reason for the leap year? Make a recalculation taking the leap year cycle into account. Can that alone explain the discrepancy? Why does the mass of the Earth not appear in the formula? Is that an acceptable simplification? Do you think these astronomical measurements of distance and mass are made or given to the requisite precision? Justify your concern about data precision by estimating the relative uncertainty in the final answer caused by relative uncertainties in each of the variables.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
1. Just apply the formula. To help you out, write down the values of the variables and constants.

2. How many seconds in a year? (1 Year = 365 days*24 hours/day*60 minutes/hour*60 seconds/minute)

3. Think of the simplifications involved. Some hints : what's the reason for the leap year? Make a recalculation taking the leap year cycle into account. Can that alone explain the discrepancy? Why does the mass of the Earth not appear in the formula? Is that an acceptable simplification? Do you think these astronomical measurements of distance and mass are made or given to the requisite precision? Justify your concern about data precision by estimating the relative uncertainty in the final answer caused by relative uncertainties in each of the variables.

thanks for your help but i don't know how to do any of that, its ok

orbity said:
thanks for your help but i don't know how to do any of that, its ok

Why is it OK? Isn't this stuff you're supposed to learn to do?:confused:

Start with the formula.[tex]T^2 = \frac{4\pi^2}{GM}a^3[/tex]. You're required to find the value of T. If you use standard (SI) units for all the other constants and variables, you'll get T in seconds as required for the first part.

G is the Universal Constant of Gravitation, given by 6.673*10^(-11) Nm^2/kg^2.

M is given as 1.9*10^30 kg. a (technically the semi-major axis of an elliptical orbit, but don't worry about that now) is given as 1.5*10^11 m. [tex]\pi[/tex] is approx. 3.1416, or you can use the calculator value.

So where's the difficulty, at least in the first part?

What is the purpose of "Attn. Oh great helpers"?

The phrase "Attn. Oh great helpers" is typically used as a way to grab the attention of a group of people who are being addressed as helpful or knowledgeable individuals.

Who is considered an "Oh great helper"?

An "Oh great helper" can refer to anyone who is knowledgeable or skilled in a particular area and is able to provide assistance or guidance to others.

Why is it important to acknowledge and thank "Oh great helpers"?

Acknowledging and thanking "Oh great helpers" is important because it shows appreciation for their time and expertise, and encourages them to continue sharing their knowledge with others.

Can anyone become an "Oh great helper"?

Yes, anyone can become an "Oh great helper" by developing their knowledge and skills in a particular area and being willing to share that knowledge with others.

How can I become an "Oh great helper"?

To become an "Oh great helper", you can start by developing your expertise in a particular area, being willing to help and share your knowledge with others, and actively seeking opportunities to assist and teach others.