Atwood machine acceleration problem

In summary, prabhat rao claimed another user's work as his own on the atwood's machine problem, and did not provide a proof.
prabhat rao
A peculiar Atwood’s machine
The Atwood’s machine shown in the figure consists of masses m,m/2,m/4,...,m/(2^(N-1)). All the pulleys and springs are mass less, as usual
a) Put a mass m/(2^(N-1)) at the free end of the bottom spring. What are the acceleration s of all the masses
b) Remove the mass m= (m/(2^(N-1)) [which was arbitrarily small, for very large
N] that was attached in part (a). What are the accelerations of all the
Masses, now that you’ve removed this infinitesimal piece?

Please solve the Question, I have been trying to answer to it but I am not confident of my method. Please answer it

picture in the attachment

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 703
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you did. We'll help you out.

In part (a), there is perfect balance at all points, so each mass will have acceleration = 0.
Proof: At the last pulley, there are equal masses on each side, so it will not turn. Now on the next pulley above it, the mass on the left equals the sum of the masses on the right, so it will not turn. This continues all the way to the first pulley.

In part (b), all the string tensions are zero, so each mass will accelerate downward with acceleration = g.
Proof: There is a mass on one side of the last pulley, but no mass on the other side. Therefore, the string around the last pully has no tension, so the last mass falls at acceleration g. Since there is no tension in the last string, there is no downward force on the last pulley, so there is no force in the string supporting it. Therefore, the mass on the other end of that string falls freely with acceleration g. This continues all the way to the first pulley.

Ok. What makes you think that there is perfect balance? There is a mass m/2 on one side, and a mass m/2+m/4+m/8... on the other side which is greater than m/2, so there must be a net acceleration.

In case of the second question, If you look at the first pulley, there is a mass m/2 on one side and masses m/2+m/4... and so on, on the other side. For the second pulley, there is a mass m/4 on one side and a mass m/8+m/16... and so on on the other... In this way, I think you should get a series for you expression of acceleration.

i wiil study your solution

chaoseverlasting said:
Ok. What makes you think that there is perfect balance? There is a mass m/2 on one side, and a mass m/2+m/4+m/8... on the other side which is greater than m/2, so there must be a net acceleration.
Actually, there's a mass m on one side and a mass m/2 + m/4 + m/8 ... = m on the other side.

Looks to be in balance to me. For any given pulley, the total mass hanging from the right equals the mass hanging from the left.

Originally Posted by chaoseverlasting

I would like to say that this problem is from the book authored by david morin. I feel Mt answer is correct and secong part there is infinitely small mass attached to the bottom string, which can be treated as there is no mass. Therefore the acceleration is g

Im sorry. I didnt see the diagram carefully enough. I thought there was a mass m/2 on one sid.

it is ok. thank you for u r insights

When asked to show his work on the problem, prabhat rao posted someone else's solution.
Here is the proof of my claim: http://lofi.forum.physorg.com/problem-concerning-atwwod-machine_13396.html

He asked the same question on another forum and claimed another user's work as his own here on pf.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a rope or string that runs over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate the principles of classical mechanics, specifically the concept of acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does an Atwood machine work?

An Atwood machine works by using the force of gravity to accelerate the masses in opposite directions. The heavier mass will accelerate downwards, while the lighter mass will accelerate upwards. This creates a tension force in the rope that is equal to the difference in the masses multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in an Atwood machine?

The formula for calculating acceleration in an Atwood machine is a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

4. How does changing the masses affect the acceleration in an Atwood machine?

Changing the masses in an Atwood machine will affect the acceleration by altering the difference between the masses, which is a key component in the acceleration formula. The greater the difference in masses, the greater the acceleration will be. Additionally, increasing the total mass will decrease the acceleration, while decreasing the total mass will increase the acceleration.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the Atwood machine acceleration problem?

The accuracy of the Atwood machine acceleration problem can be affected by factors such as friction between the pulley and the rope, air resistance, and the precision of the measurement of masses and time. Additionally, the angle of the pulley and the elasticity of the rope can also impact the accuracy of the results.