1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atwood Machine problem

1. Nov 2, 2003 #1
    There is a problem in my physcs book that I have been trying to solve for some time now, and I just can't get trough it. If someone could help me a little bit, it would really be great.
    My question is about the Atwood machine.

There are two blocks of same weight (M) suspended on a rope of each side of a pulley. There is a squared plaque (weight = m) placed on one of the blocks. When the block is dropped, is accelerates on a distance H until the squared plaque is stopped by a ring, but the block underneath continues it way at a constant speed. The distance D traveled by the block at constant speed, after the plaque is stopped by the ring, lasts "t" seconds. Prove that gravity acceleration, "g", is represented by the formula:

g = ((2M + m)D^2) / (2mHt^2)

Help for this question would be really, really apprecied...thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The sentence "The distance D traveled by the block at constant speed, after the plaque is stopped by the ring, lasts "t" seconds." cofused me. It really should be "it took t seconds for the block to travel distance D ...." since there will be nothing to stop the block.

The two M blocks balance so the total force, after m is placed on, is -mg. The total mass of the system is 2M+ m so the acceleration, from -mg= (2M+m)a is -mg/(2M+m).

The distance H move in time t1 is: H= (-mg/(2(2M+m))t12 ((1/2)a t2) and the speed at time t is V= (-mg/(2M+m))t1.

Solve the first equation for t1 and plug that into the equation for V so you know the speed after m is removed.

Once you have V in terms of g, m, M, use

D= Vt and solve for g.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?