Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Australian Scientists Confirm Past Life On Mars

1. Mar 17, 2004 #1
    http://www.ansto.gov.au/info/press/2004/p02.html
    Thought I’d link this article, as I’m quite sure those in the USA didn’t hear about it.

Reminds me of the article I scored from Pravda (Russian newspaper) a few years ago, regarding the Hungarians proving that life exists TODAY on Mars (they quite convincingly used measurements of Methane, a biologically-produced gas, to determine their findings).

Add this finding to those of the other 30 CONFIRMED Mars meteorites, found on Earth;
    http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/index.html

Perhaps Hoagland’s claims regarding the “Martian Fossil” found (and pulverised) in front of Opportunity’s cameras, is not so “out there”, after all. His story on the Enterprise Mission website compares this particular fossil to those of Crinoids (found on Earth).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, I've heard of it and the controversy surrounding the finding did hit the papers here when it first came up. This paper does little to change the minds of those in the scientific community: 'gee, it sure looks like a fossil' isn't good enough. Its still far from a closed question.
    That requries the false assumptions that the only way to get methane is through a biological process and that methane wouldn't remain very long after its creation. In fact, most of the planets and many of the moons in our solar system have methane (gas, liquid, or solid) on them.
    What exactly does that add? No one is debating that the meteorite came from Mars.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  4. Mar 17, 2004 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're already discussing this here in PF, but in Theory Development, which is a more appropriate place IMHO.

5. Mar 19, 2004 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agree - check out the link Nereid provided for further discussion on this. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?