1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Autonomous DE

1. Jan 21, 2005 #1
    The problem is

Consider the differential equation [tex] dy/dt=ay-b [/tex].
    a) Find the equilibrium solution [tex]y_e[/tex].
    b)Let [tex]Y(t)=y-y_e [/tex]; thus [tex]Y(t)[/tex] is the deviation from the equilbrium solution. Find the differential equation satisfied by [tex]Y(t)[/tex].

For part a I am confused as to what is meant by [tex]y_e[/tex].
    The general solution is
    [tex]y=Ce^{at}+\frac{b}{a}[/tex]
    I thought that the equilibrium is just the value that will be approached as t increases without bound. So in this case it depends on the values of a. If a>0 then there is no equilibruim solution. How can I answer part a then?

So without anywhere to go I made the assumption that [tex]y_e[/tex] is meant to mean the [tex]y(e)=y_e[/tex] in which case I come up with.
    [tex]Ce^{ae}+\frac{b}{a}=y_e[/tex]

So if this in fact the equilibrium solution [tex]y_e[/tex] then for part b I have
    [tex]Y(t)=y-y_e[/tex]

[tex]Y(t)=Ce^{at}+\frac{b}{a}-\left( Ce^{ae}+\frac{b}{a} \right)[/tex]

[tex]Y(t)=ce^{at}-ce^{ae}[/tex]

Which is really like any our first diff eq but in this case the [tex]\frac{b}{a}=-ce^{ae}[/tex] But the constant C makes our value for b/a unknown. Obviously I have something wrong here and I think its because I do not understand what the question is really asking.

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This part

is definitely wrong.You made a point.The general solution to the equation
    [tex] y(x)=Ce^{at}-\frac{b}{a} [/tex]

must not diverge for asymptotic behavior...Which means that "a" must be negative...Find the equilibrium solution and then the function expressing the "deviation" from equilibrium...

Daniel.

PS.The diff.eq. will b very simple...

4. Jan 21, 2005 #3
    Ok, well if know that a<0 then the equilibruim is going to be [tex]\frac{b}{a}[/tex]
    So then [tex]Y(t)=Ce^{at}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{dY}{dt}=ay[/tex]

You said the diff.eq. will be b,I am not sure how you got that.

sorry, I am trying to understand.

Thanks

5. Jan 21, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That "b" was "be"... :tongue2: You got the picture. :smile: The diff.eq.may be put under the form which would definitely show the asymptotic behavior,namely make the substitution
    [tex] a\rightarrow -|a| [/tex]

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?