Average acceleration problem having trouble

In summary, average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time and is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. To solve an average acceleration problem, you gather given information and use the formula a = (v<sub>f</sub> - v<sub>i</sub>) / t to find the average acceleration. Common units of measurement for average acceleration include m/s<sup>2</sup> and ft/s<sup>2</sup>, and it can be negative if the object is slowing down. Average acceleration is directly related to an object's motion, with a positive value indicating an increase in velocity, a negative value indicating a decrease in velocity, and a zero value indicating no change in velocity.
robbie8292
At a certain time a particle had a speed of 11 m/s in the positive x direction, and 1.3 s later its speed was 78 m/s in the opposite direction. What was the average acceleration of the particle during this 1.3 s interval?

Homework Equations

I have Vi=11m/s, Vf=78m/s and t=1.3 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution has been the formula of (78-11)/1.3. This has gotten me the answer of 51.54 and I at am a real loss. I have read my book over and over and I juts need some guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
At a certain time a particle had a speed of 11 m/s in the positive x direction, and 1.3 s later its speed was 78 m/s in the opposite direction. What was the average acceleration of the particle during this 1.3 s interval?

a=(vi+vf)/t

a=(11-78)/1.3

a= -51.54 m/s2

Your vf should have been -78 m/s since it was moving in the opposite direction.

1. What is average acceleration and how is it calculated?

Average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is calculated by taking the change in velocity and dividing it by the change in time. The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the change in time.

2. How do I solve an average acceleration problem?

To solve an average acceleration problem, you will need to gather the given information, such as the initial and final velocities and the change in time. Then, plug these values into the formula a = (vf - vi) / t and solve for the average acceleration. It is important to pay attention to the units of measurement and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

3. What are some common units of measurement for average acceleration?

The most common units of measurement for average acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s2) and feet per second squared (ft/s2). These units represent the change in velocity over a period of one second.

4. Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. It simply means that the object is slowing down or decreasing in velocity over time. This can happen if the final velocity is less than the initial velocity in the formula a = (vf - vi) / t.

5. How does average acceleration relate to motion?

Average acceleration is directly related to an object's motion. It describes how an object's velocity changes over time. A positive average acceleration indicates that the object is speeding up, while a negative average acceleration means the object is slowing down. If the average acceleration is zero, it means that the object's velocity is not changing, and it is either at rest or moving at a constant speed.