How Do You Calculate Average Induced Voltage in a Changing Magnetic Field?

In summary: If the student does not know what scientific notation is, then they can ask. If they do know, then they can decide whether or not to use it.Even to say 3.73 μV would be better.OK, but it's still an extra step that is not necessary for the solution. No harm is done by writing it the way the OP did, and it's certainly better than not showing any work at all.You are free to do whatever you like in your own classroom. Perhaps the OP just blindly copied an answer from the calculator and has no clue what it means. But I would not assume that.Because of the way some calculators display, the answer 3.73-6 is
bsugeology

Homework Statement

The magnetic field shown in Figure P20.61 has a uniform magnitude of 29.00 mT directed into the paper. The initial diameter of the kink is 0.30 cm.

(a) The wire is quickly pulled taut, and the kink shrinks to a diameter of zero in 55.00 ms. Determine the average voltage induced between endpoints A and B. (Include the polarity, with + for positive A)

(b) Suppose the kink is undisturbed, but the magnetic field increases to 96.00 mT in 3.65×10-3 s. Determine the average voltage across terminals A and B, including polarity, during this period.

(a) B=.029 T d/2=r=.0015 m A=7.065E-6 m^2 Flux final = 0 t=.055

(b) B=.096 T A=7.065E-6 m^2 Δt=3.65E-3 s

Homework Equations

I think I'm supposed to use the following:
A=∏r^2 Flux=BAcos∅ Emf=-N ΔFlux / Δtime Emf=Flux(final)-Flux(initial) / Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Flux =7.065E-6 X .029 = 2.04E-7 --> Emf= 2.03E-7 / .055 = 3.73E-6 Volts

b)Flux2 =.096 X 7.065E-6 = 6.78E-7 6.78E-7 - 2.04E-7 = 4.74E-7
Emf = 4.74E-7/3.65E-3 s = 1.30E-4 Volts

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. (Next time include the diagram.)

bsugeology said:

Homework Statement

The magnetic field shown in Figure P20.61 has a uniform magnitude of 29.00 mT directed into the paper. The initial diameter of the kink is 0.30 cm.

(a) The wire is quickly pulled taut, and the kink shrinks to a diameter of zero in 55.00 ms. Determine the average voltage induced between endpoints A and B. (Include the polarity, with + for positive A)

(b) Suppose the kink is undisturbed, but the magnetic field increases to 96.00 mT in 3.65×10-3 s. Determine the average voltage across terminals A and B, including polarity, during this period.

(a) B=.029 T d/2=r=.0015 m A=7.065E-6 m^2 Flux final = 0 t=.055

(b) B=.096 T A=7.065E-6 m^2 Δt=3.65E-3 s

Homework Equations

I think I'm supposed to use the following:
A=∏r^2 Flux=BAcos∅ Emf=-N ΔFlux / Δtime Emf=Flux(final)-Flux(initial) / Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Flux =7.065E-6 X .029 = 2.04E-7 --> Emf= 2.03E-7 / .055 = 3.73E-6 Volts

b)Flux2 =.096 X 7.065E-6 = 6.78E-7 6.78E-7 - 2.04E-7 = 4.74E-7
Emf = 4.74E-7/3.65E-3 s = 1.30E-4 Volts

How did you go with the polarity? That's the part people most commonly get wrong. In (a) the flux reduced to zero, in (b) the flux increased so they can't both be positive, so I am guessing you have not attempted that part yet.

By the way, the answers you gave are incorrect, they are merely copied from a calculator. part (a) may possibly be 3.73 x 10-6 Volts

PeterO said:
By the way, the answers you gave are incorrect, they are merely copied from a calculator. part (a) may possibly be 3.73 x 10-6 Volts
Why do you say the answers are incorrect? You gave the same answer.

To deal with the polarity, we'll need the diagram.

Doc Al said:
Why do you say the answers are incorrect? You gave the same answer.

To deal with the polarity, we'll need the diagram.

I was commenting on the E-6 part of the answer.

Any answer which includes such references is necessarily marked wrong in our school system. It gives no indication of understanding what the calculator is telling you.
Same as quoting too many significant figures simply because you wrote down all the numbers the calculator was telling you.

The answer I gave was in scientific notation, not calculator speak.

PeterO said:
I was commenting on the E-6 part of the answer.
OK, but that's fairly standard notation.

Doc Al said:
OK, but that's fairly standard notation.

It may be a common way students write their answers but it is still wrong. In no way should it become accepted as a fairly standard notation.
Students will only continue to write their answers in such a way if their answer is accepted as correct.
Because of the way some calculators display, the answer 3.73-6 is sometimes offered up. Would you accept that as correct?

Even to say 3.73 μV would be better.

PeterO said:
It may be a common way students write their answers but it is still wrong. In no way should it become accepted as a fairly standard notation.
Students will only continue to write their answers in such a way if their answer is accepted as correct.
You are free to do whatever you like in your own classroom. Perhaps the OP just blindly copied an answer from the calculator and has no clue what it means. But I would not assume that.
Because of the way some calculators display, the answer 3.73-6 is sometimes offered up. Would you accept that as correct?
No.

I think it's pretty unhelpful to make a blanket statement such as "Your answers are incorrect", when correct work was shown. A more helpful suggestion would be: You may want to express your answers in standard scientific notation.

What is average induced voltage?

Average induced voltage is the average amount of voltage that is generated in a circuit by an induced electromotive force (EMF). It is typically measured in volts (V).

How is average induced voltage calculated?

Average induced voltage can be calculated by dividing the change in magnetic flux by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the number of turns in the coil by the rate of change of magnetic flux and the frequency of the alternating current.

What factors affect the average induced voltage?

The average induced voltage is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the rate at which the magnetic field changes. It is also influenced by the frequency and resistance of the circuit.

What is the difference between average induced voltage and peak induced voltage?

Average induced voltage is the average amount of voltage generated over a period of time, while peak induced voltage is the maximum amount of voltage generated at any one point in time. Average induced voltage is often used in calculations and analysis, while peak induced voltage is important for understanding the maximum potential of a circuit.

How is average induced voltage used in practical applications?

Average induced voltage is used in a variety of practical applications, such as power generation, electric motors, and transformers. It is also important in understanding the behavior of inductors, which are used in electronic circuits to store and release energy. By calculating and measuring average induced voltage, scientists and engineers can design and optimize these applications for maximum efficiency and performance.