Average speed question: forwards then backwards

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, an object travels from the origin (position A) to position B, a distance of 20 m, at an average speed of 10 m/s. On its way back, it travels the same distance at an average speed of 6 m/s. The total time for the journey is 5.33 seconds and the total distance covered is 40 m. Therefore, the average speed for the entire trip is 7.50 m/s. The textbook may have an error in its calculation, as it gives a different value for the average speed.
nobahar

Homework Statement

An object starts at the origin, position A; then travels 20 m to position B; then returns to position A. From A to B the average speed is 10 m/s; on its way back the average speed is 6 m/s. What is the average speed for the entire trip?

Homework Equations

average speed = distance/time
distance is the "length" covered. This is not - according to my understanding - the same as velocity, which is displacement/time. In this example, the velocity would by 0 m/s, because the numerator, the displacement, is zero, as the object has returned to the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

From A to B the distance is 20 m and the average speed is 10 m/s. Therefore:
20 m/time = 10 m/s and time = 20 m/ 10 m/s = 2 s.
From B to A the distance is 20 m and the average speed is 6 m/s. Therefore:
20 m/time = 6 m/s and time = 20 m/ 6 m/s = 3.33 s.
Overall, the journey from A to B and back again takes (2 + 3.33) s = 5.33 s.
The total distance covered (not displacement) is 40 m (20 m from A to B and 20 m from B to A).
Therefore, the average speed = distance/time = 40 m/ 5.33 s = 7.50 m/s (approx.).

I have changed the numbers from the textbook to see if I was making some type of numerical error, but I have applied the same reasoning. The textbook has a different value from what I obtain (it is lower). Where am I going wrong?

Any help appreciated, many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nobahar said:

Homework Statement

An object starts at the origin, position A; then travels 20 m to position B; then returns to position A. From A to B the average speed is 10 m/s; on its way back the average speed is 6 m/s. What is the average speed for the entire trip?

Homework Equations

average speed = distance/time
distance is the "length" covered. This is not - according to my understanding - the same as velocity, which is displacement/time. In this example, the velocity would by 0 m/s, because the numerator, the displacement, is zero, as the object has returned to the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

From A to B the distance is 20 m and the average speed is 10 m/s. Therefore:
20 m/time = 10 m/s and time = 20 m/ 10 m/s = 2 s.
Yes, it takes 2 seconds to go 20 m at 10m/s.

From B to A the distance is 20 m and the average speed is 6 m/s. Therefore:
20 m/time = 6 m/s and time = 20 m/ 6 m/s = 3.33 s.
I would have written this as 20/6= 10/3 s.

Overall, the journey from A to B and back again takes (2 + 3.33) s = 5.33 s.
I would have written it as 2+ 10/3= (6+ 10)/3= 16/3 s (or 5 and 1/3 seconds)

The total distance covered (not displacement) is 40 m (20 m from A to B and 20 m from B to A).
Therefore, the average speed = distance/time = 40 m/ 5.33 s = 7.50 m/s (approx.).
40/(16/3)= 40(3/16)= 120/16= 16/2= 7.5 m/s (NOT "approximate).

I have changed the numbers from the textbook to see if I was making some type of numerical error, but I have applied the same reasoning. The textbook has a different value from what I obtain (it is lower). Where am I going wrong?

Any help appreciated, many thanks.
You don't say what value was in the textbook or what the numbers in the problem actually were but you don't seem to have done anything wrong here.

In the textbook the value from A to B is 8.8 m/s and from B to A it is 6.6 m/s. They give the answer as something like 2.6 m/s. I got 7.54 (to 2 d.p.):
40 m / [(20/8.8) + (20/6.6)] s = 7.542857143 m/s.

2.6 m/s does not make sense. It cannot be less than the 6.6 m/s, the lowest of the two average speeds.

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's just an error in the textbook.

1. What is the concept of average speed in relation to forwards and backwards movement?

The average speed in this scenario refers to the overall rate of movement when an object moves forwards and backwards in a straight line. It takes into account the distance traveled and the time it takes to travel that distance in both directions.

2. How is average speed calculated for forwards and backwards movement?

To calculate the average speed, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken. For example, if an object travels 10 meters forwards and then 10 meters backwards in a total time of 10 seconds, the average speed would be 20 meters divided by 10 seconds, which equals 2 meters per second.

3. Does average speed take into account the direction of movement?

No, average speed does not take into account the direction of movement. It only considers the total distance traveled and the total time taken, regardless of the direction of movement.

4. How does the speed in the forwards direction affect the average speed?

The speed in the forwards direction has a direct impact on the average speed. The faster an object moves forwards, the higher the average speed will be. This is because the distance traveled in the forwards direction will be greater in a given amount of time.

5. Can average speed be higher when moving forwards and backwards compared to just moving forwards or backwards?

Yes, it is possible for the average speed to be higher when moving forwards and backwards compared to just moving forwards or backwards. This is because the distance traveled in both directions is taken into account, resulting in a higher total distance traveled and therefore a higher average speed.