How Do You Calculate Average Speed in a Mixed-Speed Relay?

In summary, the cheetah, falcon, and sailfish can run a relay with each covering a distance L at their maximum speeds of 113 km/h, 161 km/h, and 105 km/h respectively. The average speed of this relay team for the entire relay is approximately 122 km/h.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

The cheetah can run as fast as 113 km/h, the falcon can fly as fast as 161 km/h, and the sailfish can swim as fast as 105 km/h. The three of them run a relay with each covering a distance L at maximum speed. What is the average speed of this relay team for the entire relay?

Homework Equations

Average Speed = [itex]\frac{Total distance traveled}{Total Time}[/itex]

Average Velocity = [itex]\frac{Total displacement}{Total Time}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Each covers distance L, so a total of 3L, and the time it would take is their maximum velocity/L; 113/L + 161/L + 105/L. Is there some information I'm not accounting for?

I spoke with my professor and he had this to offer:
The average speed would be equal to one-third the sum of the three
speeds as you calculated if the three speeds were each maintained for
the same length of time. Instead, they are each maintained for the
same distance, which will give a slightly different result. Given a
distance and speed, you can calculate the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
cowmoo32 said:
Each covers distance L, so a total of 3L,
OK.
and the time it would take is their maximum velocity/L;
Double check that.

cowmoo32 said:
the time it would take is their maximum velocity/L; 113/L + 161/L + 105/L

This is incorrect, which is easily seen from the resultant units. What is the correct equation?

I'm bad about not using units. I really need to stop that. Ok, so the total time would be [itex]\frac{3L}{(113 + 161 + 105)}[/itex] ... [itex]\frac{km}{km/hr}[/itex] = hr

cowmoo32 said:
Ok, so the total time would be [itex]\frac{3L}{(113 + 161 + 105)}[/itex]
Almost, but not quite. (But you have the right units now. Careful how you add those fractions.)

The total time is the sum of the times of all the participants. What are those times?

Doc Al said:
Almost, but not quite. (But you have the right units now. Careful how you add those fractions.)
[itex]\frac{L}{113}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{L}{161}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{L}{105}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{L}{379}[/itex] ...But isn't the total distance covered 3L? This shouldn't be so difficult for me, I don't know why I'm having so much trouble.

cowmoo32 said:
[itex]\frac{L}{113}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{L}{161}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{L}{105}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{L}{379}[/itex]
That addition is incorrect. (1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 ≠ 1/9 !) Convert each fraction to a decimal, then add.
...But isn't the total distance covered 3L?
That's true.

Well, how our teacher taught us, it's ALL the distance over ALL the time. Try following that.

Gytax said:
Well, how our teacher taught us, it's ALL the distance over ALL the time. Try following that.
That's what he's been trying to do. See the first post.

Doc Al said:
That addition is incorrect. (1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 ≠ 1/9 !) Convert each fraction to a decimal, then add.

That's true.
Unit L = 1

[itex]\frac{1}{113}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{161}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{105}[/itex] = 0.0246

And the total distance is 3L = 3, so average speed would be 3/.0246 = 122km/h...correct?

That seems like a reasonable answer given the velocities of each.

Last edited:
Looks good!

Thank you!

What is the difference between average speed and velocity?

Average speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving over a certain distance. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. Velocity, on the other hand, is a measure of both speed and direction. It takes into account the displacement of an object and is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

Can average speed and velocity be the same?

No, average speed and velocity cannot be the same. While they both involve the concept of speed, velocity also takes into account the direction of motion. Therefore, even if an object travels at the same speed, if it changes direction, its velocity will be different.

Which one is more important in determining the motion of an object?

It depends on the context. In some cases, average speed may be more relevant, such as in a race where all that matters is how fast an object can cover a certain distance. However, in other cases, velocity may be more important, such as in navigation where direction is crucial.

Can an object have a constant speed but a changing velocity?

Yes, this is possible. An object can have a constant speed but a changing velocity if it changes direction at a constant rate. This could be seen in circular motion, where the object moves at a constant speed but its velocity is constantly changing as it moves around the circle.

How can average speed and velocity be represented graphically?

Average speed is usually represented by a linear graph with time on the x-axis and distance on the y-axis. Velocity, on the other hand, is usually represented by a vector graph with displacement on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The direction of the velocity can be represented by an arrow on the graph.