Average Value of f(x,y)=sin(x+y) Over a Rectangle

In summary, the average value of f(x,y) over the rectangle 0 ≤ x ≤ pi, 0 ≤ y ≤ pi is 2cos(x).
chevy900ss

Homework Statement

Find the average value of f(x,y)=sin(x+y) over the rectangle 0 ≤ x ≤ pi, 0 ≤ y ≤ pi.

Homework Equations

I need to know if this is the right answer please.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 1/pi as a answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not going to make us work this out, are you? Show us how you got it.

well i don't no how to show the symbols

Just click on the integral below, and a window will open with the LaTeX code. All you need to do is fill in where there are question marks.
For pi, use \pi. A is the area of your region. If you want to switch the order of integration, change the bottom limit from x to y and vice-versa, and switch the dx and dy.
[tex]\frac{1}{A}\int_{x = ?}^? \int_{y = ?}^? sin(x + y) dy~dx[/tex]

\frac{1}{A}\int_{x = 0}^\pi \int_{y = 0}^\pi sin(x + y) dy~dx

yeah i can't figure out how to make it look like yours. It just stays in the formula form

chevy900ss said:
\frac{1}{A}\int_{x = 0}^\pi \int_{y = 0}^\pi sin(x + y) dy~dx
It needs to be inside [ tex] [ /tex] tags (without the space I added). Like so:
[tex]\frac{1}{A}\int_{x = 0}^\pi \int_{y = 0}^\pi sin(x + y) dy~dx[/tex]

OK, so what do you get for the integral, and what do you get for A?

For A i get pi^2

the end integral i get
1/pi^2[-cosx-x(from 0 to pi)] which i get -1/pi

chevy900ss said:

Homework Statement

Find the average value of f(x,y)=sin(x+y) over the rectangle 0 ≤ x ≤ pi, 0 ≤ y ≤ pi.

Homework Equations

I need to know if this is the right answer please.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 1/pi as a answer.

I tried it and got 0. Can you show us what you got after evaluating the inner integral?

P.S. This is almost immediate if you use

[tex]\sin(x+y) = \sin(x)\cos(y) + \cos(x)\sin(y)[/tex]

and break the integral into two parts, integrating the cosine term first in each case (trivial if you use symmetry).

Last edited:
The area is correct, but I'm pretty sure you made an error in calculating the integral. How did you get -cosx -x?

\(\displaystyle
\frac{1}{pi^2}\int_0^pi\int_0^pi sin(x+y)dydx=\frac{1}{pi^2}\int_0^pi sin(x)[-cosy|_0^pi] dx=\frac{1}{pi^2}\int_0^pi (sinx-1)dx=\frac{1}{pi^2}[-cosx-x|_0^pi]=\frac{-pi}{pi^2}=\frac{-1}{pi}
\)

[tex]
\frac{1}{pi^2}\int_0^pi\int_0^pi sin(x+y)dydx=\frac{1}{pi^2}\int_0^pi sin(x)[-cosy|_0^pi] dx=\frac{1}{pi^2}\int_0^pi (sinx-1)dx=\frac{1}{pi^2}[-cosx-x|_0^pi]=\frac{-pi}{pi^2}=\frac{-1}{pi}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int_0^\pi\int_0^\pi sin(x+y)dydx=\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int_0^\pi sin(x)[-cosy|_0^\pi] dx=\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int_0^\pi (sinx-1)dx=\frac{1}{\pi^2}[-cosx-x|_0^\pi]=\frac{-\pi}{\pi^2}=\frac{-1}{\pi}
[/tex]

chevy900ss said:
[tex]
\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int_0^\pi\int_0^\pi sin(x+y)dydx=\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int_0^\pi sin(x)[-cosy|_0^\pi] dx
[/tex]

I'm not sure what you did in this step. Here is how I did it:

[tex]\begin{align*}\int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin(x+y) dy dx
&= \int_0^{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi} \sin x \cos y dy dx + \int_0^{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi} \cos x \sin y dy dx \\
&= \int_0^\pi \sin x \left(\int_0^\pi \cos y dy \right) dx + \int_0^\pi \sin y \left(\int_0^\pi \cos x dx \right) dy \\
&= \int_0^\pi (\sin x) (0) dx + \int_0^\pi (\sin y) (0) dy \\
&= 0
\end{align*}[/tex]

You can also do it without using the trig identity; I highly recommend doing so. (The answer is still 0.)

i see i was just no where near the right answer.

chevy900ss said:
[tex]
\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int_0^\pi\int_0^\pi sin(x+y)dydx=\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int_0^\pi sin(x)[-cosy|_0^\pi] dx
[/tex]

Wait... are you assuming here that

[tex]\sin(x+y) = \sin(x) \sin(y)[/tex]?

It seems that you are, but that's wrong. The inner integral should be

[tex]\int_0^\pi \sin(x+y) dy = [-\cos(x+y)]|_{y=0}^{y=\pi} = -\cos(x+\pi) + \cos(x) = \cos(x) + \cos(x) = 2\cos(x)[/tex]

Now do the outer integral:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi^2} \int_0^\pi 2 \cos(x) dx[/tex]

1. What is the formula for finding the average value of f(x,y) over a rectangle?

The formula for finding the average value of f(x,y) over a rectangle is:

Average value = (1/area of rectangle) * double integral of f(x,y) over the rectangle

2. How do you calculate the area of a rectangle?

The area of a rectangle can be calculated by multiplying the length of the rectangle by its width. The formula is:

Area = length * width

3. Can the average value of f(x,y) over a rectangle be negative?

Yes, the average value of f(x,y) over a rectangle can be negative. This means that the function has a mix of positive and negative values over the rectangle.

4. How does the average value of f(x,y) over a rectangle relate to the function's maximum and minimum values?

The average value of f(x,y) over a rectangle is equal to the average of the function's maximum and minimum values over the rectangle. This means that the average value can provide a good estimate of the function's behavior over the rectangle.

5. Is the average value of f(x,y) over a rectangle affected by the size and shape of the rectangle?

Yes, the average value of f(x,y) over a rectangle is affected by the size and shape of the rectangle. As the size and shape of the rectangle change, the average value will also change since it is based on the area of the rectangle.