Axial Deformation and Poisson's Ratio Calculation

In summary: The problem involved finding the reduction in diameter of a bar under axial load, using concepts such as longitudinal and latitudinal strain, average normal stress, Poisson's ratio, and Hooke's Law. However, he found that his initial approach, which involved finding the deformation and changing the length and diameter accordingly, did not match the solution provided. He had questions about the solution and the concepts involved, such as what the value of 0.35 represented and how it was calculated, why his initial method did not apply, and why the solution's method was effective. The solution explained that the 0.35 represented the Poisson's ratio for
jtmbii
I've been studying this problem, trying to understand the given answer, but still no success.

Homework Statement

<<provided in attachment>>

Homework Equations

Longitudinal Strain
gif.gif

Latitudinal Strain:
gif.gif
where
gif.gif
is the amount the radius contracts, r is original radius

Average Normal Stress:
A.gif

Poisson's Ratio (Longitudinal Strain & Lateral Strain):
%5Cepsilon%20_l_o_n_g.gif

Hooke's Law (Stress & Strain):
gif.gif

Elastic Deformation of an Axially Loaded Member w/ a constant load & cross-sectional area:
gif.gif

(My equations are according to Hibbeler's Mechanics of Materials 8th ed.)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem was given after studying axial loads. Though it seems that this problem encorporates everything we have learned in the class so far. The way I would have done this problem is to just find the deformation (delta). Subtract the deformatin from "L" to get an new "L" value and then try to find the change in diameter from there by knowing the formula for area of the cross section. But I must not understand the concept at all because the solution shows that's not the approach at all. I did not think Stress & Strain was something I had to calculate.

The following is my attempt to understand the steps:

Looking at the solution, I'm not sure what the 0.35 is. Or why it is calculated. I thought it was
gif.gif
at first. But when I calculate
gif.gif
using the eqn above I cannot get 0.35. Or it might be the dividend of (diameter/length) but then that means there is a power of 10 error. The next part is calculated stress then strain using Hooke's Law. Then the solution uses Poisson's Ratio to find
gif.gif
with the 0.35 earlier which I assume is
gif.gif
. Then by using the strain in the lattitude direction we can find the reduction of the diameter.

Short version/Main questions: What is the 0.35? How was 0.35 calculated? Why the original method I thought of does not apply here? Why does the method in the solution work?

I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Attachments

• axialload.JPG
    axialload.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,666
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the problem asks for the reduction in the diameter of the bar due to the applied axial load. You know, when you pull on something in the axial direction, it not only gets longer, but it gets narrower as well. The quantity ν = 0.35 is the Poisson's ratio for the material from which this bar is made. This number, Poisson's ratio, relates the transverse deformation of the bar to its longitudinal deformation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson's_ratio

The 0.35 is the ratio of the diametric strain to the axial strain. Your method would have worked if the volume of the sample remained constant. But it doesn't. For the volume to remain constant, the poisson ratio would have to be 0.5.

Chet

What is an axial load?

An axial load is a type of force that is applied along the axis of an object, either pushing or pulling in a straight line. It is also known as a compressive or tensile load, depending on whether it is pushing or pulling the object.

What is deformation?

Deformation is the change in shape or size of an object due to the application of external forces, such as an axial load. It can be elastic, where the object returns to its original shape after the force is removed, or plastic, where the object retains its deformed shape even after the force is removed.

How does an axial load cause deformation?

An axial load causes deformation by exerting a force on the object's cross-sectional area, resulting in tension or compression within the material. This causes the material to stretch or compress, leading to a change in its shape or size.

What factors influence the amount of deformation caused by an axial load?

The amount of deformation caused by an axial load is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the load, the properties of the material being loaded (such as its elasticity and strength), and the geometry of the object.

How is axial load deformation measured?

Axial load deformation is typically measured using strain gauges, which are devices that can detect tiny changes in the shape or size of an object and convert them into electrical signals. These signals can then be used to calculate the amount of deformation caused by the axial load.