AZING PHYSICS: What Can a Cone Teach Us About Motion?

In summary, the student is seeking ideas for a physics experiment involving a paper cone. The experiment needs to be creative and original and can be carried out in a school lab. Suggestions such as using circular motion or sound waves have been considered but are not unique enough. The student is open to any interesting ideas, and the experiment must produce data, results, and evaluative points. Some suggestions have been to fill the cone with ice cream or to invert the cone and put sand in it while suspending it from a string and observing the resulting pattern on a surface.
Sci-Fry

Homework Statement

My AP physics teacher asked us to do an experiment on anything that involves a paper cone for my physics class, and I'm trying to think of something creative/original to do.

Homework Equations

No particular equations. As long as it's AP (12th grade) level physics.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only things I could come up with involved circular motion in a cone or something with sound waves, but those aren't too original. However, it also needs to be something that can be carried out in a school lab. Any interesting ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sci-Fry said:

Homework Statement

I need to do an experiment on anything that involves a paper cone for my physics class, and I'm trying to think of something creative/original to do.

Homework Equations

No particular equations. As long as it's IB/AP (12th grade) level physics.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only things I could come up with involved circular motion in a cone or something with sound waves, but those aren't too original. However, it also needs to be something that can be carried out in a school lab. Any interesting ideas?
You could put ice cream in one. If you can't figure out what to do with it, at least you could eat it:)

AM

Haha whilst I'm sure that would be very nourishing it would get me a zero!

Just to add some extra detail:
Basically the teacher sets a specific parameter (in this case that we need to use a cone) and then we can do whatever we want with it. However, it needs to be a doable experiment - I'll need to eventually conduct the experiment with data, results and evaluative points at the end.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Try inverting the cone, making a small hole in the point and put sand in it. Suspend it from a long string above a clear flat surface and set it in motion. Let it go for several hours. What does the pattern of sand on the surface tell you?

AM

Related to AZING PHYSICS: What Can a Cone Teach Us About Motion?

1. How does the cone affect the outcome of the experiment?

The cone used in a physics experiment can impact the results in several ways. Firstly, the shape and material of the cone can affect the flow of fluid or gas through it, which can impact measurements such as pressure or velocity. Additionally, the cone can create areas of turbulence or change the direction of flow, which can also affect the experiment's outcome.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a cone for a physics experiment?

When selecting a cone for a physics experiment, several factors should be taken into account. These include the material of the cone, its shape and size, the angle of the cone, and the medium (such as air or water) in which the experiment will take place. These factors can all impact the results of the experiment and should be carefully considered before choosing a cone.

3. Can a cone be used in any type of physics experiment?

While cones can be used in a variety of physics experiments, they may not be suitable for all experiments. For instance, if the experiment involves high temperatures or corrosive materials, a cone made of a heat-resistant or chemically inert material should be used. Similarly, the size and shape of the cone should be appropriate for the experiment's objectives.

4. How can a cone be calibrated for use in a physics experiment?

Calibrating a cone for a physics experiment involves measuring its dimensions, such as the diameter and angle, and ensuring that they match the intended specifications. This can be done using precision instruments such as calipers or by comparing the cone to a standard template. Additionally, the cone's performance can be tested by conducting a trial run of the experiment before using it for data collection.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a cone in a physics experiment?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a cone in a physics experiment. If the experiment involves high pressures or velocities, the cone should be securely attached to prevent it from becoming a projectile. Additionally, the appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves or goggles, should be worn when handling the cone or conducting the experiment. It is also important to follow any specific safety guidelines provided by the experiment's protocol or instructor.