Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bachelor thesis

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    Hi all

What did you write your bachelor thesis about?

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fundamental Group

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    After doing some research my sophomore year involving spectroscopy on a chemical similar to phosgene (but even more reactive, with the chlorines replaced by fluorines), I switched majors from chemistry to physics, where my new thesis project involved the spectroscopy of atmospheric oxygen.

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

nanotechnology

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wrote an undergrad capstone paper on odd perfect numbers, but I wouldn't call it a thesis.

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6
    Never did a bachelors... undergrad masters.

"The Use of Computer Modelling Techniques to aid in the Design of a Vintage V8 Racing Engine"

Noone ever reads your thesis, not even the assesors. They simply weigh it and multiply the weight by the amount of words in the title + amount of bribe money to get your grade for it

8. Oct 21, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't have to do a thesis for a bachelor's degree. What country are you in that requires that? Or is it for an honors degree? Here (in the US) you don't need it to get a bachelor's degree, but some universities will require a thesis to graduate with honors in your major. I supervised an honors student, and agree with the statement above that nobody actually looks at it other than your supervisor. On the other hand, my honors student will actually end up with a co-authorship on a journal article for her work, which I think is more beneficial in the long term than the honors degree.

9. Oct 21, 2009 #8
    I am not sure if it is a thesis, but I am an undergraduate and doing a 12 month long research related to Lp spaces for my senior research.

10. Oct 21, 2009 #9
    Most people do not do a thesis for a BS degree. At my university, everyone is required to do a senior or "capstone" project.

11. Oct 21, 2009 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, I think most US universities don't require a thesis for a bachelor degree...mine didn't.

My school offered independent research. I studied the effects of contaminants in crystals.

12. Oct 22, 2009 #11
    My design thesis: Conceptual design of a recreational submarine
    My research thesis: Analysis of underwater jet engines

If it matters, I graduated with a Bsc (Eng) Aeronautical

13. Oct 22, 2009 #12
    none.

14. Oct 22, 2009 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Philosophy major?

15. Oct 22, 2009 #14
    Norway. Here we have "No thesis, no B.Sc.".

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  16. Oct 22, 2009 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The six pieces of divorce, breaking it down into legal segment of divorce, the emotional, the financial, the custody & coparenting portion, the community portion (who gets custody of friends, relatives, etc), and the rebuilding of the psyche portion.

I thought the research was a little extreme (and a little expensive) for an elective course that had nothing to do with my major.

If I had it do over, I'd do mine on marriage instead - at least the research includes a fun party.

17. Dec 6, 2009 #16
    here in the philippines we are really required to do thesis before graduating a BS...

18. Dec 6, 2009 #17
    Long ago, and far away -- (very) high voltage stuff: "An Investigation of Mechanisms for Impulse Breakdown in SF6 at High Stress"

Saw my advisor several years after graduating. He said "I still take out your thesis from time to time to look at the data."

...implying NOT at that drivel you wrote -- ouch! But, the data was good.

19. Dec 6, 2009 #18

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Our final report for our senior project was pretty much a thesis but it was not referred to as such.

20. Dec 6, 2009 #19

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Flexible Pavement thesis... "Structural Evaluation of some Highway, and a proposed structural design solution to its current problems" for my BSc.

Something along those lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook