Understanding Work and Energy Transfers in Gas Processes

In summary, the question asks for the work done by the gas when the change in internal energy is 1500 J and the heat transferred to the gas is -400 J. After some confusion about the sign convention, it is determined that W(in) is 1900 J and W(out) is the opposite of that, meaning -1900 J. The textbooks may have different interpretations of W, but ultimately, energy is conserved and all energy transfers into the gas, raising its temperature.
lando45
If the change in internal energy of a gas during a process is 1500 J and the heat transferred to the gas during the process -400 J, what is the work done by the gas?

I immediately though the answer to this question was 1100J, but it's not, I am completely confused by this. How can it not be 1100?

Physics news on Phys.org
Q(in) + W(in) = DeltaE

Q(in) is NEGATIVE , but DeltaE is POSITIVE.

so, what's W(in)?

Now notice that they're asking for W(out) ...

Q(in) + W(in) = DeltaE
-400 + W(in) = 1500
W(in) = 1900

So now how do I find W(out)? I figured that [W(in) + W(out)]/2 = change in internal energy which is how I came up with my original answer of 1100J, but that's incorrect.

Last edited:
HINT: W(out) is the opposite to W(in)

Work transfers Energy OUT of one object and INto another ...
I was referring to Work that transfers Energy Into the gas as W(in).
Energy is conserved, so that W(in) would be W(out) for some other object.

Textbooks are notoriously flaky about which W they mean.
I envision all Energy transfers going into my sample, which raises its T.

1. What is "Baffling Gas Energy Question"?

"Baffling Gas Energy Question" refers to a scientific phenomenon that involves the release of mysterious gases and their potential energy implications.

2. How is "Baffling Gas Energy Question" studied?

Scientists study "Baffling Gas Energy Question" through various methods such as laboratory experiments, field studies, and computer simulations.

3. What are the potential applications of "Baffling Gas Energy Question"?

The potential applications of "Baffling Gas Energy Question" are still being explored, but it could potentially have implications in alternative energy sources and environmental monitoring.

4. What causes "Baffling Gas Energy Question"?

The exact cause of "Baffling Gas Energy Question" is still being researched, but it is believed to be caused by a combination of factors such as geological processes, microbial activity, and atmospheric conditions.

5. How does "Baffling Gas Energy Question" impact our daily lives?

Currently, "Baffling Gas Energy Question" does not have a direct impact on our daily lives, but further research and understanding of this phenomenon could potentially lead to new technologies and energy sources that could benefit society.