Balancing weights (simpler version)

• Thread starter mathguy2
  • Start date
In summary, the bearers at the front and rear of a 9 zereth litter are carrying a total load of 450 minas, with 200 minas hanging from the left side and 250 minas hanging from the right side. Using the equations L1 = (L x W2) / W and L2 = (L x W1) / W, we can determine that the single equivalent litter load is placed 5/9 of the way from the left side of the plank.
mathguy2

Homework Statement

Bearers at the front of a 9 zereth litter sense that they are carrying a 200 mina load. Those at the rear sense that they are carrying a 250 mina load. How large is the total load on the litter and where is the single equivalent litter load placed.

(Drawing)

I---------------------------------------------------I (plank)

200 hangs from the left side. 250 hangs from the right

Homework Equations

L1 = (L x W2) / W

L2 = (L x W1) / W

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so W = 200+250 = 450 (total load). & L = 9 (given)[/B]

L1 = (9 x 250) / 450 = 5

L2 = (9 x 200) / 450 = 4

So this means the weight is hanging 5/9s of the way from the left side of the plank.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just wanted another pair of eyes of this because I'm uncomfortable with these problems at the moment (it's a new concept). Many thanks. Am I correct?

Related to Balancing weights (simpler version)

1. How do balancing weights work?

Balancing weights work by evenly distributing the weight of an object around its center of gravity. This helps to stabilize the object and prevent it from toppling over.

2. Why is it important to balance weights?

Balancing weights is important for safety and stability. Objects that are not properly balanced can tip over and cause accidents or damage.

3. What are some common methods for balancing weights?

Some common methods for balancing weights include using counterweights, adjusting the distribution of weight, or adding additional weights to balance out the object.

4. How do you determine the correct weight to use for balancing?

The correct weight for balancing depends on the weight and distribution of the object being balanced. It may require some trial and error to find the right weight and placement for optimal balance.

5. Can balancing weights be used for any type of object?

Yes, balancing weights can be used for any type of object as long as the weight and distribution are taken into consideration. Different methods may need to be used for different types of objects.