What Forces Act on a Ball in Vertical Circular Motion?

In summary: The net force is the centripetal force, which is equal to the tension in the string. And since you know the tension, you can solve for the tangential velocity at the top.
Mthees08

Homework Statement

A ball if mass M attached to a string of length L moves in a circle in a vertical plane as shown above. At the the top of the circular path, the tension in the string is twice the weight of the ball. At the bottom, the ball just clears the ground. Air resistance is negligible. Express all answers in terms of M, L, and g
a) Determine the magnitude and direction of the net force on the ball at the top of the path
b) Determine the speed V(i) of the ball at the top
the string is now cut
c) Determine the time it takes the ball to reach the ground.
d) Determine the horizontal distance the ball travels before hitting the ground

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=mg
centripetal A=V(tangental)^2/r
d=rt
Vfinal=Vinitial+at

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i tried to set up an equilibrium of forces equation using tension and weight but got 0 points
b) i got 2 points i used the centripetal acceleration equation and get Vt=sqrt(MgL)
c)0 points... i really messed this up... I should have gotten this...
d) i used the d=rt but had the incorrect time so if i fix c (or someone explains it) then this is easy

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
Mthees08 said:
a) Determine the magnitude and direction of the net force on the ball at the top of the path

The net force is equal to the tension in the string.

Mthees08 said:
b) Determine the speed V(i) of the ball at the top

The tension in the string is the centripetal force. Since you know it, you can get the tangential velocity.

Mthees08 said:
c) Determine the time it takes the ball to reach the ground.

If the string is cut when the ball is at the top, then it's just a horizontal shot. You know that [tex]g=9.81 ms^{-2}[/tex] and the distance that ball has to travel until it reaches the ground so you can get the time.

Mthees08 said:
d) Determine the horizontal distance the ball travels before hitting the ground

One more element of the horizontal shot. The starting velocity is the tangential velocity.

Last edited:
Dr. Jekyll said:
The net force is equal to the tension in the string.

The tension in the string is the centripetal force. Since you know it, you can get the tangential velocity.

Actually, at the top of the circle, the forces acting are the Tension,T, and the weight,W. The resultant of those 2 forces provides the centripetal force required to keep the object in a circle.

So that [itex]\frac{Mv^2}{L}=T+Mg[/itex] and since [itex]T=2Mg[/itex],[itex]\frac{Mv^2}{L}= 3Mg[/itex]

rock.freak667 said:
Actually, at the top of the circle, the forces acting are the Tension,T, and the weight,W. The resultant of those 2 forces provides the centripetal force required to keep the object in a circle.

Yes, that's right.

1. What is the definition of circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point or axis.

2. What is the relationship between the speed and radius of a ball in circular motion?

The speed of a ball in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of its circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the speed also increases, and vice versa.

3. How does centripetal force keep a ball in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, which keeps an object moving in that path. In the case of a ball in circular motion, this force is provided by the tension in the string or the normal force from the surface the ball is rolling on.

4. What is the difference between tangential speed and angular speed?

Tangential speed is the linear speed of an object along its circular path, while angular speed is the rate of change of the object's angular position. Tangential speed is measured in distance per unit time, while angular speed is measured in radians per unit time.

5. Can a ball in circular motion have a constant speed and changing velocity?

Yes, a ball in circular motion can have a constant speed and changing velocity. This is because velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both speed and direction. In circular motion, the velocity is constantly changing as the direction of the ball's motion changes while its speed remains constant.