What is the best method for designing a trigger system for a ball launcher?

In summary, Jordan is working on a ball launcher project that uses three balls loaded with bungee chords. He is looking for help on the design of the trigger system. He thinks a gravity feed will be best for the balls.
jordon trent
Hi,

I'm working on a project, the project is to create a ball launcher. the ball being a squash ball. 3 balls must be loaded once only but be able to be fired individually. the energy used to fire these balls is 3 1m long bungee chords. this cannot be changed. there are 3 main parts to it.1: the aiming system/ subframe. 2: the loading mechanism and 3: trigger system. I am looking for help on the trigger system.
Trigger system needs to fire/release 3 individual bungee's to fire the ball. this is how the system would work.
Load, aim, fire, aim, fire, aim, fire then can be reloaded.

if anyone could help with the design of this trigger then that would be amazing. I've got a mental block and trying to alter mechanisms etc and its not easy.

thank you

Jordon :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to show some work of your own first. What have you thought of?

phinds said:
You need to show some work of your own first. What have you thought of?
Trigger_mechanism_bf_1923.jpg

I've been looking at things like this. where the trigger is pulled and the spring pushes everything back into normal position. also many cross bow mechanisms. I've been thinking about possibly maybe using some sort of gear/ rail that connects to the trigger and as its pushed back helps load the other bungee on the system.

I wonder if you might just use a gravity feed for the balls and have the cords very close together with a triple-stage trigger that releases one cord after another after the balls drop into place

phinds said:
I wonder if you might just use a gravity feed for the balls and have the cords very close together with a triple-stage trigger that releases one cord after another after the balls drop into place

I think a gravity feed will be best to use. i don't know anything about the details of certain stage trigger systems but i will have a look and check out some videos and see how i could relate and use them. if you know of any great links of 3-stage trigger that would be great, if not don't worry, thanks for your help and ill see if i can go from here.

1. What is a ball launching mechanism?

A ball launching mechanism is a device or system that is designed to launch or propel a ball through the air. It can be powered by various means such as springs, compressed air, or electromechanical mechanisms.

2. What are the applications of a ball launching mechanism?

A ball launching mechanism can be used in various industries, including sports, entertainment, and scientific research. It is commonly used in sports equipment such as slingshots, catapults, and pitching machines. It can also be used for launching balls in amusement park rides or for scientific experiments.

3. How does a ball launching mechanism work?

The specific working mechanism of a ball launching mechanism can vary depending on its design and purpose. However, in general, it involves storing energy in the mechanism and then releasing it to propel the ball forward. This can be achieved through the use of springs, compressed air, or other forms of potential energy.

4. What are the factors that affect the performance of a ball launching mechanism?

The performance of a ball launching mechanism can be influenced by several factors, including the type and amount of energy used, the design and materials of the mechanism, and external factors such as air resistance and surface conditions. The angle and force of the launch can also impact the performance of the mechanism.

5. What are the safety considerations when using a ball launching mechanism?

When using a ball launching mechanism, it is important to follow safety precautions to avoid potential injuries or accidents. These may include wearing protective gear, having a clear launch path, and ensuring that the mechanism is in proper working condition. It is also important to follow any instructions or guidelines provided by the manufacturer.