Ball swinging from a rope - Net force and curved path

• Thread starter jbow615
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Rope
In summary, the problem involves a truck moving at a constant speed with a ball hanging from a rope attached to the truck's roof. The ball hangs at an angle of 45 degrees to the right of the truck's direction of travel. The net force acting on the ball can be calculated using the equation marad=m(v^2/r), where marad is the force, m is the mass, v is the velocity of the truck, and r is the radius of the curved path of the ball. The second question involves finding the radius of the curved path of the ball when viewed from overhead, which can be solved using geometry and a free-body diagram of the ball.
jbow615
Help Please -- Ball swinging from a rope

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 30 kg is hanging from a rope of 3 meter tied to the roof of a truck. The truck is moving at a constant speed of 29.6 m/s. As you look forward at the ball hanging from the roof of the truck, you see the ball hanging to the right at an angle 45 from the horizontial.

1-What is the net force acting on the ball?

2-What is the radius of the curved path of the ball if one viewed the ball from overhead?

Homework Equations

marad=m(v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 1, I think you would just solve for the net force using marad but I just wanted confrim.

For part two, I have no idea where to even begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
jbow615 said:

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 30 kg is hanging from a rope of 3 meter tied to the roof of a truck. The truck is moving at a constant speed of 29.6 m/s. As you look forward at the ball hanging from the roof of the truck, you see the ball hanging to the right at an angle 45 from the horizontial.

1-What is the net force acting on the ball?

2-What is the radius of the curved path of the ball if one viewed the ball from overhead?
There appears to be information missing.
i.e. is the truck moving to the left or the right? Is the ball on a rope set up as a linear pendulum or circular pendulum or something else?

Since the truck is moving at a constant speed, there is no special reason for the rope to be hanging at any particular angle except 0deg (equilibrium due to gravity). In question 2, viewed from overhead, the path of the ball would not be curved at all.

The problem is mainly geometry - but you need to describe the situation.
Is there supposed to be a diagram?

Simon Bridge said:
There appears to be information missing.
i.e. is the truck moving to the left or the right? Is the ball on a rope set up as a linear pendulum or circular pendulum or something else?

Since the truck is moving at a constant speed, there is no special reason for the rope to be hanging at any particular angle except 0deg (equilibrium due to gravity). In question 2, viewed from overhead, the path of the ball would not be curved at all.

The problem is mainly geometry - but you need to describe the situation.
Is there supposed to be a diagram?
The truck is moving at constant speed, not constant velocity. If the rope hangs at a steady angle to one side, that tells us the trajectory of the truck.

Jbow615, I don't know what "marad" stands for, but yes, centripetal force is what you have to think about. What are the forces on the ball, and what is the relationship between their magnitudes?

Oh that's the information missing... ?! <facepalm>
So the truck goes "forward" and the ball hangs "to the right" of the direction of travel.

I figured marad means ##\small ma_{rad}## ... i.e. the mass times the centripetal acceleration.

"Where to begin" would be a free-body diagram of the ball ... what are the forces? What do they have to sum up to?

Ok I finally figured it out last night. Thank you guys for your help.

Related to Ball swinging from a rope - Net force and curved path

What causes a ball to swing from a rope?

The swinging motion of a ball on a rope is caused by the force of gravity and the tension in the rope. When the ball is pulled to one side and released, gravity pulls it down while the tension in the rope pulls it back towards the center, creating a swinging motion.

How does the length of the rope affect the swinging motion of the ball?

The length of the rope affects the speed and frequency of the swinging motion of the ball. A longer rope will result in a slower swinging motion, while a shorter rope will result in a faster swinging motion. The length of the rope also determines the maximum height the ball will reach during its swing.

Why does the ball eventually stop swinging?

The ball eventually stops swinging due to air resistance and friction in the rope. As the ball swings back and forth, it encounters air resistance which gradually slows it down. Friction in the rope also causes the swinging motion to decrease over time.

What happens if the rope is not taut?

If the rope is not taut, the ball will not swing in a consistent motion. The swinging motion will be erratic and may eventually come to a stop. This is because the tension in the rope is necessary for creating a stable and predictable swinging motion.

Can the material of the rope affect the swinging motion?

Yes, the material of the rope can affect the swinging motion of the ball. A lighter and more flexible rope, such as a nylon or rubber rope, will result in a faster and more fluid swinging motion compared to a heavier and stiffer rope, such as a metal or wooden rope.