Ball thrown in the air, calculate time to hit the ground.

In summary, a member of a community is seeking help with a physics problem. They are trying to find the time it takes for a ball to land on the ground after being thrown straight up from a building. The ball is released at an initial velocity of 25m/s from a height of 2.5m above the building's top, which is 9.50 meters high. The person asking for help has missed some classes due to illness and is behind on the problem. They are reaching out to the community for assistance.
T.J.12
Hi everyone! First post here, seems like a great community. Anyways, I'm having a bit of trouble.

(I missed a bit of classes due to illness, and I'm a bit behind.)

Here's the problem:

You stand on top of a building 9.50 meters high, and throw a ball almost straight up. The ball is released with an initial velocity of 25m/s [up]. If you release the ball from 2.5m above the top of the building, find the time it takes for the ball to land on the ground.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
T.J.12 said:
Hi everyone! First post here, seems like a great community. Anyways, I'm having a bit of trouble.

(I missed a bit of classes due to illness, and I'm a bit behind.)

Here's the problem:

You stand on top of a building 9.50 meters high, and throw a ball almost straight up. The ball is released with an initial velocity of 25m/s [up]. If you release the ball from 2.5m above the top of the building, find the time it takes for the ball to land on the ground.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to PF.

What have you tried so far?

Hi there! Welcome to the community!

To calculate the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground, we can use the equation:

h = h0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2

Where:
h = final height (0m)
h0 = initial height (9.50m)
v0 = initial velocity (25m/s)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2)
t = time

Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get:

0 = 9.50m + (25m/s)t - 1/2(9.8m/s^2)t^2

Solving for t using the quadratic formula, we get t = 3.25 seconds. This means that it takes 3.25 seconds for the ball to hit the ground.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

Related to Ball thrown in the air, calculate time to hit the ground.

1. What is the formula for calculating the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground when thrown in the air?

The formula for calculating the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How do you determine the height of the ball when calculating the time it takes to hit the ground?

The height of the ball can be determined by measuring the distance from the initial position where the ball was thrown to the highest point of its trajectory. This is also known as the maximum height or apex of the ball's path.

3. Can the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground. In real-life scenarios, air resistance can slow down the ball's descent, resulting in a longer time to hit the ground compared to the calculated time without considering air resistance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the time calculated in this scenario?

The unit of measurement for the time calculated in this scenario is seconds (s).

5. Is the formula for calculating the time to hit the ground applicable to all objects thrown in the air?

Yes, the formula for calculating the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground is applicable to all objects thrown in the air, as long as there are no external factors such as air resistance or wind that may affect the object's trajectory.