How Do You Measure Absolute Capacitance with a Ballistic Galvanometer?

In summary, a ballistic galvanometer is a sensitive instrument used to measure electrical currents. Its purpose is to conduct experiments and collect data on electrical currents, and its main components include a coil of wire, magnet, pointer, and controlling mechanism. This instrument works by utilizing the interaction between an electrical current and a magnetic field to create a deflection of the pointer. Some practical applications of a ballistic galvanometer include measuring currents in power lines, studying materials, and detecting changes in electromagnetic fields. It is also commonly used in scientific research and experimentation.
PratyashAstro
My question is : What is the absolute capacitance?In my electricity lab, I was assigned to prepare a report on measuring absolute capacitance of a capacitor using ballistic galvanometer.
I am familiar to the term self capacitance but not the absolute one. My mentor asked me to find it out by myself. But I couldn't find any source in the internet to have a precise concept.Could anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PratyashAstro. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I think it is just capacitance.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a ballistic galvanometer?

A ballistic galvanometer is a type of sensitive instrument used to measure electrical currents. It is designed to detect small changes in current and can be used to measure both direct and alternating currents.

What is the purpose of a ballistic galvanometer lab?

The purpose of a ballistic galvanometer lab is to conduct experiments and collect data on electrical currents. This can include measuring the strength and direction of currents, as well as studying the behavior of different materials when subjected to electrical currents.

What are the components of a ballistic galvanometer?

The main components of a ballistic galvanometer include a coil of wire, a magnet, a pointer, and a controlling mechanism. The coil of wire is connected to the circuit being measured, and the magnet and pointer work together to indicate changes in current.

How does a ballistic galvanometer work?

A ballistic galvanometer works by using the interaction between an electrical current and a magnetic field to create a deflection of the pointer. When an electrical current flows through the coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field which interacts with the permanent magnet to cause the pointer to move.

What are some practical applications of a ballistic galvanometer?

Ballistic galvanometers have many practical applications, including measuring electrical currents in power lines and electronic circuits, studying the properties of different materials, and detecting changes in electromagnetic fields. They are also commonly used in scientific research and experimentation.