How Is the Swing Angle Determined in a Ballistic Pendulum Problem?

In summary, a bullet with a mass of 0.0270 kg and a speed of 99.00 m/s collides with a block with a mass of 2.60 kg that is supported by two light strings. The block rises to a height of 0.0528 m, found using conservation of energy. To find the angle of swing of the block, trigonometry is used with the length of the strings (0.280 m) and the height (0.0528 m). However, the correct answer is 35.76 degrees, not 54.2 degrees. The height of the pendulum is related to its initial velocity after the collision and the angle of swing. Conservation of energy applies after
Punchlinegirl
A bullet (m = 0.0270 kg) is fired with a speed of 99.00 m/s and hits a block (M = 2.60 kg) supported by two light strings as shown, stopping quickly. Find the height to which the block rises.
I found this by conservation of energy, the answer was .0528 m
Find the angle (in degrees) through which the block rises, if the strings are 0.280 m in length.
I tried doing this using trig.
the hypotenuse= .280 m
opposite = (.280-.0528) = .2272 m
adjacent= x
sin^-1 (.2272/.280)= 54.2 deg.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
if the hypotunse is .28 and the vertical side is

.28 - .0528 = .2272

so the side opp is

sqrt(.28^2-.2272^2) = .163

so sin^-1 = .163 / .28 = 35.76 degrees

Punchlinegirl said:
A bullet (m = 0.0270 kg) is fired with a speed of 99.00 m/s and hits a block (M = 2.60 kg) supported by two light strings as shown, stopping quickly. Find the height to which the block rises.
I found this by conservation of energy, the answer was .0528 m
Find the angle (in degrees) through which the block rises, if the strings are 0.280 m in length.
I tried doing this using trig.
the hypotenuse= .280 m
opposite = (.280-.0528) = .2272 m
adjacent= x
sin^-1 (.2272/.280)= 54.2 deg.
What am I doing wrong?
I am not sure what you have done because you have not shown your work explaining your answer of .0528 m for the height.

Conservation of energy does not apply to the collision. The bullet collides with the pendulum and stops inside it. This is an inelastic collision. What is conserved in the collision? Conservation of energy applies after the collision when the bullet and pendulum bob move together. (Edit: your answer .0528 m appears to be correct).

What is the height the pendulum reaches in terms of its initial velocity (after stopping the bullet)? How is the height related to angle of swing?

AM

Last edited:

1. What is a ballistic pendulum problem?

The ballistic pendulum problem is a physics problem that involves determining the initial velocity of a projectile using the conservation of energy and momentum principles. It involves a pendulum being struck by a projectile and the resulting motion being used to calculate the initial velocity of the projectile.

2. How do you solve a ballistic pendulum problem?

To solve a ballistic pendulum problem, you need to first gather all the necessary information such as the mass and initial height of the pendulum, as well as the mass and velocity of the projectile. Then, you can use the conservation of energy and momentum equations to calculate the initial velocity of the projectile.

3. What is the conservation of energy principle?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of a ballistic pendulum problem, the total initial energy of the system (projectile and pendulum) is equal to the total final energy (pendulum at its highest point), allowing us to solve for the initial velocity of the projectile.

4. Why is the conservation of momentum important in a ballistic pendulum problem?

In a ballistic pendulum problem, the conservation of momentum allows us to determine the initial velocity of the projectile by equating the momentum before and after the collision between the projectile and the pendulum. This principle is important because it helps us understand and calculate the motion of objects in collisions.

5. What are the key assumptions made in a ballistic pendulum problem?

There are a few key assumptions made in a ballistic pendulum problem, including the lack of air resistance, the pendulum being massless, and the collision between the projectile and the pendulum being perfectly elastic. These assumptions allow for a simplified calculation and a more accurate result.