Banked Frictionless Curve, and Flat Curve with Friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 28K views
Digitalx04
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A car of mass M = 1200 kg traveling at 40.0 km/hour enters a banked turn covered with ice. The road is banked at an angle theta, and there is no friction between the road and the car's tires.

What is the radius r of the turn if [tex]\theta[/tex] = 20.0 degrees (assuming the car continues in uniform circular motion around the turn)?


The Attempt at a Solution



I believe that [tex]F_{c}[/tex] = [tex]F_{N}[/tex] sin ([tex]\theta[/tex]) = m([tex]\frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex])

Using this I solved for r, which is my missing variable and came up with:

r = [tex]\frac{v^{2}}{F_{N}sin\theta}[/tex]

Using this formula I get
r = [tex]\frac{11.1^{2}}{9.8 sin 20}[/tex]

but when I submitted this answer it told me the normal force is not equal to the weight of the car.

My questions are what is the [tex]F_{N}[/tex] value and am I missing another value in my equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Break down Fn into vertical and horizontal components. You already saw that the horizontal component provides the centripetal acceleration; what does the vertical component do?