1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banked Frictionless Curve, and Flat Curve with Friction

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car of mass M = 1200 kg traveling at 40.0 km/hour enters a banked turn covered with ice. The road is banked at an angle theta, and there is no friction between the road and the car's tires.

What is the radius r of the turn if [tex]\theta[/tex] = 20.0 degrees (assuming the car continues in uniform circular motion around the turn)?

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe that [tex]F_{c}[/tex] = [tex]F_{N}[/tex] sin ([tex]\theta[/tex]) = m([tex]\frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex])

Using this I solved for r, which is my missing variable and came up with:

r = [tex]\frac{v^{2}}{F_{N}sin\theta}[/tex]

Using this formula I get
    r = [tex]\frac{11.1^{2}}{9.8 sin 20}[/tex]

but when I submitted this answer it told me the normal force is not equal to the weight of the car.

My questions are what is the [tex]F_{N}[/tex] value and am I missing another value in my equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Break down Fn into vertical and horizontal components. You already saw that the horizontal component provides the centripetal acceleration; what does the vertical component do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook