Barrier and Tunneling Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a 1.1 eV proton tunneling through a 2.4 eV potential barrier, using equations to solve for the values of k and L needed to calculate the probability. However, the probability is negligible, with a value of approximately zero.
j2dabizo

Homework Statement

A 1.1 eV electron has a 10-4 probability of tunneling through a 2.4 eV potential barrier. What is the probability of a 1.1 eV proton tunneling through the same barrier

Homework Equations

eq 1) T= [1 + V02 sinh2(kL)/4E(V0-E)]-1

or if (kL)>>1 we use eq 2) T= 16(E/V0(1-E/V0)e-2kL

k= (2m(V0-E)1/2/hbar

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for k.
we know m of electron= 5.11E5 ev
Vo = 2.4
E= 1.1
hbar = 6.5281E-16 ev*s...

so solve for k of electron we get 1.7512E18 s-1, need it in terms of m-1, so we divide by 3.0E8m/s = 5.8373E9 m-1

solve for L in equation 2 t= (7.333)(0.5417)e-1.1675E10m-1(L)...
L= 3.9392E-10m

now i have found L,

nned to find k of the proton so..

k=[2(938.27E6ev)(1.3ev)]1/2/6.5821E-16ev*s = then divide by 3.0E8 m/s = 2.5013E11m-1

so kL for proton = (205.1062)

when I plug this kL number in eq 1 or 2...once I do the e-2(kL) or sinh(kL)2 i get an error message and i can't calculate the T...

Help please this is killing me

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because e^(-410) is zero for all practical purposes (i.e. experiments that could detect it today or in some ten years of time ahead).
If you really need it, e^(-410) \approx 10^(-178)

1. What is the "Barrier and Tunneling Problem" in physics?

The Barrier and Tunneling Problem is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle with insufficient energy to surmount a potential energy barrier can still pass through it due to the wave-like nature of particles. This is known as quantum tunneling.

2. What is the significance of the Barrier and Tunneling Problem?

The Barrier and Tunneling Problem has significant implications in various fields, such as nuclear physics, solid-state physics, and semiconductor devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

3. How does the Barrier and Tunneling Problem relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously determine the position and momentum of a particle with absolute precision. The Barrier and Tunneling Problem is a manifestation of this principle, as the position of a particle cannot be precisely determined when it is able to pass through a potential energy barrier.

4. Can the Barrier and Tunneling Problem be observed in everyday life?

While the Barrier and Tunneling Problem is a fundamental phenomenon in quantum mechanics, it is not typically observable in our everyday lives. This is because it primarily occurs on a microscopic scale and is only significant for very small particles, such as electrons and protons.

5. Is there a way to control or manipulate the Barrier and Tunneling Problem?

Scientists have found ways to manipulate and control the Barrier and Tunneling Problem, particularly in the field of nanotechnology. By engineering materials with specific properties, it is possible to enhance or suppress quantum tunneling, which has practical applications in the development of new electronic devices.