Quantum Mech (Barriers and Tunneling)

In summary, using the equations for transmission probability and the wave vector, we can estimate the probability of an electron passing from one wire to the other based on the potential difference and separation of the two wires.
zbhest123
1. Two nanowires are separated by 1.3 nm as measured by STM. Inside the wires the potential energy is zero, but between the wires the potential energy is greater than the electron's energy by only 0.9 eV. Estimate the probability that the electron passes from one wire to the other.

2. k=sqrt(2m(V_0-E))/hbar
T=(1+V^2sinh^2(kL)/(4E(V_0-E)))^-1
T=16E/V_0(1-E/V_0)e^-2kL When kL>>1 (kL=6.31)
V_0-E=0.9 eV

3. The problem here is that I have 2 unknowns for both T equations, and I don't know if it would make sense to set them equal to each other and then solve for one of the unknowns. For either equation on its own the unknown V_0 and E do not cancel themselves out. Do I possibly need to use the equation K_min=(P)^2/(2m)=V_0-E? Or could you point me towards something I have overlooked? Would I be able to use any simple harmonic oscillator equations? Such as E_0=1/2*hbar*omega where omega^2=k/m? And then assume E_0=E? But I feel like this wouldn't make sense..

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability of an electron passing from one wire to the other can be estimated using the equation for transmission probability, which is given by:T = (1 + (V^2 * sinh^2(kL))/(4E(V_0 - E)))^-1where V is the potential difference between the two wires, k is the wave vector of the electron, L is the separation between the two wires, and E is the energy of the electron. We can rearrange this equation to solve for k:k = sqrt(2m(V_0 - E))/hbar We can then substitute this into the transmission probability equation and solve for T:T = 16E/V_0(1 - E/V_0)e^-2kL Given the values for V_0 and E, we can calculate the transmission probability T, which will give us an estimate of the probability that an electron will pass from one wire to the other.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale.

2. What is a barrier in quantum mechanics?

A barrier in quantum mechanics refers to a potential energy barrier that particles encounter when moving through a space. This barrier can prevent the particles from moving freely and can affect their behavior, such as causing them to tunnel through the barrier instead of going over it.

3. What is tunneling in quantum mechanics?

Tunneling in quantum mechanics refers to the phenomenon where particles can pass through a potential energy barrier, even when their energy is lower than the barrier's height. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. What are some real-life applications of quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling has many practical applications, such as in the development of transistors and other electronic devices, tunneling microscopy, and in the study of nuclear fusion reactions. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of semiconductors and superconductors.

5. How does quantum tunneling affect the behavior of particles?

Quantum tunneling can cause particles to exhibit unexpected behavior, such as particles passing through barriers that would be impossible in classical physics. It also allows for the formation of electron orbitals in atoms and explains the stability of elements in the periodic table. Additionally, quantum tunneling plays a significant role in radioactive decay and nuclear reactions.