How do I solve for a matrix using base vectors and vector spaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a matrix A that satisfies the equations Ae1=w1 and Ae2=w2, where e1, e2, w1, and w2 are given vectors. The solution involves expressing the e vectors as a linear combination of the w vectors and using this to find the inverse of A. The conversation also clarifies a mistake in the calculation of A and concludes with the solution being (1,0;-2,3).
Kruger

Homework Statement

The problem is quite easy, but I've still trouble solving this.

Given the two base vectors e1=(1,-2,0) and e2=(0,3,0) and the other ones of a different vector space w1=(1,0,0) and w2=(0,1,0).

I've to find a matrix A that that does the following Ae1=w1 and Ae2=w2

2. The attempt at a solution

Easy isn't it? I've done what the professor did to solve such problems:

Calculate: e1=1*w1+(-2)*w2
and: e2=0*w1+3*w2

thus that shouls yield the matrix A:(1, 0, 0; -2, 3, 0; 0, 0, 0)
where ; is written for different lines in the matrix A.

But if I calculate A*e1 I get something totally wrong.

Where's the mistake in my calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated the inverse of A, expressing the e vectors as a linear combination of the w vectors:

Ae1=w1 so e1=A^(-1)w1
Ae2=w2 so e2=A^(-1)w2

Clearly, your answer for A is incorrect since the inverse of your A does NOT exist. For this reason, you need to drop the third dimension. So , for example, e1 becomes (1,-2) etc.

The way you proceed is correct though, except that your A is actually the inverse of A, and the inverse of A is indeed (1,0;-2,3). So acquire A now.

marlon

Last edited:
I don't understand exactly why I've to build the inverse of A, because I search A such that A*e1=w1 not that A*w1=e1.

ahh, k, I got it know, I took your hint marlon, thanks, thanks.

What are base vectors and matrices?

Base vectors are a set of vectors that form the basis of a vector space, meaning that all other vectors in the space can be expressed as a linear combination of the base vectors. A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns, used to represent linear transformations.

What is the difference between a base vector and a matrix?

A base vector is a single vector, while a matrix is a collection of multiple vectors arranged in a specific way. Additionally, base vectors are used to represent a vector space, while matrices are used to represent linear transformations.

Why are base vectors and matrices important in linear algebra?

Base vectors and matrices are important in linear algebra because they provide a way to represent and manipulate linear transformations, which are fundamental to understanding many mathematical concepts and applications.

How do you determine the dimension of a vector space using base vectors?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of base vectors in the space. For example, if a vector space has three base vectors, then its dimension is three.

Can you use any set of vectors as base vectors for a vector space?

No, the base vectors for a vector space must be linearly independent, meaning that none of them can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. Additionally, the base vectors must span the entire vector space, meaning that any vector in the space can be expressed as a linear combination of the base vectors.