Basic Avg Speed/Constant Acceleration train question

In summary, the train starts from rest and is 120 m long. After 2 minutes, a person standing next to the front train notices that the end of the last freight car passes her. The average speed of the train during this time interval is 1 m/s. Assuming constant acceleration, the speed of the train when the end of the last freight car passes the observer is 2 m/s. This is found using the formula X-Xo = 1/2 (Vo + V)t. The graph of position vs time is not a straight line, but rather a parabola, with a slope of 0 m/s at t=0 and 2 m/s at t=120.
smsport

Homework Statement

A train starts from rest. The train (including the locomotive and all the freight cars) is 120 m long. A person standing still next to the front train (not in front of it -- she is NOT run over!) notices that the end of the last freight car passes her exactly 2 minutes after the train started moving.

(i) What is the average speed of the train during the 2-minute time interval?
(ii) Assuming that the train accelerates at a constant rate, what is the speed of the train when the end of the last freight car passes the observer?

I can figure out i) just fine as average speed is 120m/120sec to get 1 m/s.

I don't know why ii) is confusing to me, but it is. It seems straightforward but I don't know how to get the speed of the train when it passes the person. Wouldn't it also be 1 m/s? Speed is just a scalar so how does acceleration come into play?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your part (i) is right.

For part (ii), the train starts at rest. So that means at its velocity is zero.
Therefore, if it averages 1 m/s, and it starts at 0 m/s, it has to be moving faster that 1 m/s at some point in the interval to bring the average up to 1 m/s.

What kinematic formulas do you know for uniform acceleration?

ii) Asks you to find the instantaneous velocity at 2 minutes, whereas i) asks you to find the average velocity during the 2 minutes.

If the instant. velocity at t=120 sec is the slope of the tangent line on the position/time graph and the position = 120m, then wouldn't the instantaneous velocity at 120 sec be 120/120 or 1 m/s? Am I missing something on this point?

However, I think this is correct:

If Vinitial is zero and acceleration is constant then, using X-Xo = 1/2 (Vo +V)t gives me:
120 = 1/2 (0 + v) * 120 sec
120 = 60v
v=2 m/s

If the instant. velocity at t=120 sec is the slope of the tangent line on the position/time graph and the position = 120m, then wouldn't the instantaneous velocity at 120 sec be 120/120 or 1 m/s? Am I missing something on this point?

The graph of position vs time is not a straight line-- it is parabolic due to constant acceleration. The slope of the graph at t=0 is 0m/s. At t = 120, the slope is 2 m/s

Last edited:
Thanks. That further confirms what I posted after thinking on it, indicating my answer as 2 m/s.

What is the formula for calculating average speed?

The formula for average speed is distance divided by time. It is represented by the equation:
Avg speed = total distance / total time.

How is average speed different from constant acceleration?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. Average speed does not take into account changes in velocity, while constant acceleration does.

What is the relationship between distance, time, and acceleration for a train with constant acceleration?

The relationship can be represented by the equation: distance = initial velocity * time + (1/2) * acceleration * (time)^2. This means that the distance traveled by the train is directly proportional to its initial velocity and the time it takes to travel, and is also affected by its constant acceleration.

How does the direction of acceleration affect the motion of a train?

If the train is accelerating in the same direction as its initial velocity, it will speed up. If it is accelerating in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If the train is accelerating perpendicular to its initial velocity, it will change direction.

What are some real-world examples of objects with constant acceleration?

Some examples of objects with constant acceleration include: a car speeding up or slowing down on a straight road, a rollercoaster going up or down a hill, a rocket launching into space, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.